What's new

Two week old Panasonic 47wx53... POOF! (1 Viewer)

Wes_B

Grip
Well, I was watching tv tonight and POP! SNAP! then I was looking at a blank screen. I just sat there wondering WTF just happened. The red power light on the tv was slowly blinking. Then the smell of burning electronics hit me. I jumped up and unplugged the set and looked it over to make sure nothing was on fire. This makes me sicker the more I think about it. :frowning:

I'll be calling Panasonic first thing in the morning.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the exact same thing happening with our Sony KPV45 way back in the day. In fact, it also happened on our Sony KPV75. I remember the flashing light and the burning scent as well. :frowning: Good luck!

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh, sorry Wes.

When shit like this happens, they should be forced to not only fix the problem, but also pay for the trouble they cause. Too many sets die before they are even broken in.... and when you invest in a big screen tv, it's not exactly easy to move it in/out of your house, and you can't just set it aside until the repair guy comes.

It must be aggrevating... I had problems with my 32" set a few years ago, and it drove me NUTS. My new Panny 53" hasn't caused any problems yet, knock on wood.

Anyway, good luck Wes.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You know, it's cost-cutting. I think this Panny's power supply bit the dust. Almost certain.

And the thing is, in the mad rush to make HDTV affordable and to get the format to take off, the manufacturers are shaving costs wherever they think they can get away with it. Yet, skimping on the power supply is the surest way to assure a limited lifespan.

This really blows, and I feel for you. Until the OEMs can figure how to build these units to a cost in a more intelligent way, they should stick with quality instead of trying to get a model to market at, say, the $1,299 price point.

HanLee

Grip
I had a Panasonice CRT model CT-27sf something or other, that blew out on me after a few years (3 years). Brought in to the local TV repair person and had it fixed for 160 bucks. Was told it was the power regulator inside the TV. Also mentioned that it was due to the fact that Panasonic was shaving costs by placing inferior regulators. Happens all too often they said.

Well, I got myself another Panasonic, exact same model as yours Wes, and it has been good to me so far. I've had it for a few months now. No problems yet, crossing my fingers. Hearing so many people talk about the "evil" pop with Panasonics, as well as experiencing it with another TV has me scared.

Sorry to hear about the TV Wes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks