two way or three way for center channel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I need to upgrade my center channel speaker. I currently have my main towers, rears and center all set to small and let my 12" sub handle the bass. If the center channels bass is being routed to the sub is there any reason to have a three way center channel? I guess I do not fully understand what the center channle handles other than voices for the main part.

Thanks

Greg

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Well a three way will give you more mid, not mroe bass. The centre channel does lots! It is a common misconception that it only does the voices.

If you truely want to know what comes out of the centre, unplug all your other speakers, if you don't have a centre just use one of your mains for the centre. THen play a movie, you'd be surprised at what comes out of there.

For a real shock put in the matrix and watch the shootout in the lobby scene, TONS and TONS of stuff is in the centre.

Your best bet is to get another speaker the EXACT same as your l/r if not then something in the same manufacturer/model line.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Want to know what comes out of the center channel?

Pop in a DVD you like, and disconnect your center channel speaker, and then watch the DVD. You'll be surprised at how much of the load the center channel carries for most DD/dts 5.1 soundtracks.

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

So I am assuming you would suggest getting the three way speaker?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    2 way or three way doesn't make a huge difference. It only has to do with how the frequencies are covered and by which size driver. In a blind test, I don't think one would be able to tell the difference between the two, with similar drivers. Get what sounds good.

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Greg,

I think in your case the size of the room and

the distance between the main speakers may be

a consideration. In general, especially if you have

no way to equalize your center channel, try to purchase

a unit from the same manufacturer that is designed to be

a center for your mains. If this narrows your choice to

2-way or 3-way, go 2-way if your mains are less than 12

feet apart, and 3-way if more than 12 feet.

JRS

7. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

A well designed 3 way will be far superior to a 2 way at least in one respect: off axis response. If you are sitting alone right in front of the center, there will indeed be little difference. But as you move off axis, the two way will develop interference effects the will lead to huge response anomalies. Tom Nousaine among others has been very vocal about this, and if you look at measurements of two way centers (I'm talking woofer tweeter woofer varieties here) the off axis response is terrible for every two way I've ever seen. The main reason for the two way designs is to keep the center at a reasonable height sitting on top of a tv.