What's new

Two versions of LOTR, buy both keep both? (1 Viewer)

LisaDoris

Stunt Coordinator
I have a rule against owning two versions of the same movie (yes I know the theatrical and the extended versions are basically two different movies but the rule still stands). I picked the EE and I'll do that for all three films. I usually have enough titles in the unwatched pile to keep me occupied until the EE is released.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Have both versions of FOTR and will do the same for the next two.

As mentioned - each version has different extras - and for this series of movies I want to have ALL the little extras and tidbits.

This will be probably the only series of movies that I would do this for.

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Hi everyone

I actually own both versions as well and actually watched the Theatrical cut just yesterday, even after seeing the extended cut several times the original cut is still very enjoyable and works very well even after seeing the EE.

Brian

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I want to have both. The only version of hte movie I watch is the EE, but the 2 disc set is an archive of the theatrical release, before we knew what was coming. It's neat watching the TV fluff pieces just because it reminds me of not knowing what was coming in a month's time. Plus it's only $15 release week, and I'll rent the movie three or four times otherwise before the EE comes out, so not much more expensive to buy. having it forever instead of a few days is worth the extra $$$ to me. Plus the fact that these movies have some of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies...... I have had sellers remorse since I sold my regular version of FOTR. I am hoping there will be a sale for both theatrical versions when the TTT comes out...sort of like by the TTT and get so much off of the FOTR... :D Hoping!!!

Thanks again
R~

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I purchased both last year, and I'll do so again this year.

Reasons:

1. Extras totally different on the two sets.

2. The Theatrical Cut is better viewing for guests that may not have the time to devote to the Extended Edition.

3. The Extended Edition actually makes the story *better* and is well worth the additional investment in time. It also contains, IMO, better overall video and audio than the Theatrical Cut. When we sit down to view it, we usually spread it over two nights.

4. The extras on the Extended Edition remain the best ever produced for any movie released exclusively to DVD. The T2:UE, which was basically a port of the extras from the LD edition of the director's cut, can't begin to touch it. And that's saying a lot since it's practically a course in movie making!

5. I enjoy purchasing both editions of the movie since New Line is doing such a good job in catering to both the casual fans of the series and the hard-core fans. And they publicly acknowledge their intentions in this regard well in advance. This is DVD "done right". And it deserves to be rewarded.

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Buying both (theatrical cut, exteneded cut in gift set), keeping both.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Buying both, keeping both. Same as I did last year and will do it again next year for ROTK. Original theatrical and Extended cut of the film and totally different features on both versions. Who could ask for anything more. Lucas should take notes.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Both for me as well. I actually switch back and forth between the theatrical and extended, and I probably prefer the theatrical overall. Sure, most of the extended scenes are entertaining, but I can see why they were cut from the original movie, save for the scene where Aragorn and Boromir argue after leaving Lorien.

Take the extra shire scenes, for example. Fun to watch, yeah, but I think the post-prologue intro from the theatrical is superior - the scene with Frodo reading under the tree when the title comes up is just perfect where it is - immediately following the prologue - sort of plays out like a dream, if you follow me - a moment that I'll never forget while watching it in the theatre for the first time.

However, the major reason why I prefer the original is because I don't like the changes that were made to Boromir's death scene.
Never mess with perfection, which is exactly what they did here. The extra action surrounding the moments before that first arrow - unnecessary - significantly takes away from the moment, in my opinion. Even if you can deal with hobbits taking out uruks with rocks, I just think the scene plays out much more poetically in the theatrical version - especially Shore's music. Curious to see if others share this opinion.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Both.

I agree that the theatrical version's Intro is superior - Frodo reading under that tree, is an absolutely gorgeous shot, one of the best openings I have ever seen. That said, Bilbo's intro isn't bad either, the more ominous version of the fellowship theme playing while we slowly track through bag end... ah, I need to give these discs another spin, it's been a couple of week :)

I do find the EE better overall. Less hasty.

However, when I only want to watch parts of the movie (Gandalf's fall), which is most of the time, I pop in the theatrical version. Basically, I don't touch the EE unless I have to. It's the one DVD package that I would never lend to my friends. Heck, I am thinking of buying another one, just in case this one goes OOP!

BTW, has the difference in LFE between both versions been objectively documented (i.e., measured)? I don't really hear that much of a difference.

--
Holadem - I will probably get the giftset down the road and it will remain unopened forever...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Dave - I prefer the extended version of Boromir's death scene. The additional male choral music is awesome and I like the beefing up of Merry and Pippin's involvement in the fight. It makes Boromir's last stand more dramatic.

The extended version also explains the high body count at Boromir's last stand.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Since I consider these movies to be the best that has ever been made, it shouldn't be a surprise that I buy and keep both versions... :)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
My opinion on Boromir's death is mixed. I liked some aspects of the EE version, but I really felt the way the music was done in the theatrical version was perfect...the three strong beats followed by silence and the sound of the arrow flying and striking Boromir. The musical and non-musical impact of that was perfect.

By adding the additional shots, the music had to be rewritten and that perfect combination of score and sound was lost. The emotional impact of Boromir getting shot was altered.

Oh yeah...to stay on topic, I have both Fellowship DVDs and will by both versions of the other two films as well.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
To be honest, I haven't watched the original version since the EE. It just feels "incomplete" to me. However, I got it on the Blockbuster card deal so it was worth it. This year, I'll still buy TTT regular version because I would like to see the previews for ROTK and TTT: EE. Will I watch the original movie again after Nov. when the EE comes out? Probably not, but it's good to have from August - November.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I buy both and keep both. There are things on the regular edition that are not on the Extended Edition, some of them scenes in the film, where alternate takes were used. (e.g., the meeting with Haldir has been cut in two and replaced by a completely different scene in the EE, the first scene with the bartender at the Prancing Pony is a different take in the EE, etc.)

To be honest, I haven't watched the original version since the EE.
I know that's true for a lot of people, but not for me. In a lot of ways I feel the first half of the film, up to Rivendell, works better in the theatrical version. In my opinion, the Hobbiton scenes really drag in the EE. With the exception of the interchange between Bilbo and Frodo at the party, I honestly don't feel there's anything up to the arrival at Rivendell that adds anything important to the film. In fact, I think it interferes with the pacing.

But to me, most everything from Rivendell on truly does enhance the film, except Haldir's new introduction, which I think works far better in the theatrical version.

I have a friend who's never seen FOTR, and I'm seriously considering showing him the theatrical version up to Rivendell, then switching discs to the EE.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
the three strong beats followed by silence and the sound of the arrow flying and striking Boromir. The musical and non-musical impact of that was perfect
Joe - my thoughts exactly. Everytime I watch the EE, I find myself wishing they would have left that part alone. In fact, I really don't mind the extra Merry/Pippen action - I just wish they could have included that stuff without having to alter what I think is a perfect moment from the theatrical version. Oh well - on the bright side, it does make me appreciate the theatrical version more, and switching back and forth between the two versions gives me a little variety with a movie I watch way too much as is!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
David_SG, I haven't watched either version of the film since February, but in my head I can replay that exact moment from the film; that's how strong it resonated. When I watch the EE, the theatrical music sneaks into my mind every time.

There actually is another spot where there is a poor musical transition in the EE when Sam and Frodo are traveling at the beginning.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I also prefer the theatrical music during Borormir's death scene, and the music during their first meeting with Galadriel. In the EE, the music almost drowns out some of Galadriel's dialogue, particularly "Go now and rest, for you are weary with toil and much sorrow." That line is almost inaudible, the music is so loud.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
There actually is another spot where there is a poor musical transition in the EE when Sam and Frodo are traveling at the beginning.
Yeah, I think I know which scene you're talking about - right after Frodo and Sam try to go to sleep after seeing the Elves. A little jarring, but I can forgive that poor musical transition, since I really like the added scenes just before it.

Overall, while I think Shore did a good job with the extended score, I think he tried a little too hard at times to create a contrast between the old and new, almost as if his music was "announcing" the new scenes - like the extra scene in the prologue. Hopefully the score in the extended version of Towers will be more seamless. I seem to recall from an interview that he scored the longer version for Towers up front, and then cut it down for the theatrical, but I could be mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks