What's new

Two VCR's, One TV (1 Viewer)

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
On of my TV's is not working, and I would still like to record two shows at one time. How do I hood up two VCR's to one TV? Can I just run the Antenna to VCR 1, then run a coax from VCR1's out to the in on VCR 2, then run a coax from VCR 2's out, to the TV?

If I do this, will I be able to watch a tape from both VCR's?

Both VCR's have the Antenna In, Antenna Out, RCA IN, and RCA Out. If the my way doesn't work, how should I do this? I am assuming brands donr matter or what my TV is, but if you need more info, please ask. Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, you didn't say what inputs your TV has?

The most normal way is....

Antenna/Cable coax to each VCR.
RCA outs from the VCR's to the TV on separate inputs.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I am using all the inputs on my TV already. Is there another way to do it?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If your broadcast is standard cable, then a splitter from the cable to each vcr would allow you to choose each channel you wish to record from simutaneously. Using a swhtch box like the ones used for video games allow you to switch between the two VCRs through one input of the t.v. You have to determine which input on the t.v. is available composite or RF.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
If I have to I will look into going through my reciever. But I don't nornally use the stereo for tapes, and don't really want to unless I have to. Two channels don't come in as good with the stereo on anyway. I'll look at all the ideas here, but nobody said anything about the way I was thinking? Will it work to run them in series like in my first post?

Thanks for all the input.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Yes you can connect the VCR's in series using antenna coax cables. When recording two separate programs, set the "VCR/TV" setting on the first VCR to "TV". When watching a third program off the air (using the TV channel selector), also set the VCR/TV setting on the second VCR to "TV".

To play one tape while recording another, record on the first VCR and play using the second. YOu can playback using either VCR when nothing is being recorded, but to reduce confusion as far as settings go, we suggest doing playback only on the second VCR at all times.

You will not be able to reprogram the first VCR via on screen menus while the second VCR is recording, except when the first VCR's RCA video and audio outputs are connected up, perhaps through your receiver.

There is the possiblity that the reception on the second VCR may not be good (happened to me). If so, at least switch the order of the VCR's before giving up.

But reception is always degraded on both legs when you use a splitter.

Before your second TV broke, you probably had an antenna splitter somewhere to feed the two VCR's in different parts of the house. You will boost the signal almost without trying by eliminating that splitter and running the antenna feed directly to the remaining TV's location. Now it should be strong enough to feed both VCR's in series.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Great, thanks for the reply. I will hood it up that way, because of the unavailability of inputs left on the TV.

I probably shouldn't post this, but I was at Circuit City tonight, and they had a good deal on a DVD Recorder which I couldn't pass up. I still will probably try to hook up both VCR's since I have them. Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the help.

BTW, if you see a thread asking for help getting a DVD recorder up and running, post help there too:D .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks