Two Towers vs. Return of the King ?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JamesH, Nov 27, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I just finished LOTR: Return of the King on the Xbox and I absolutely loved it. The question is, how does Two Towers stack up next to it? I know it likely isn't as good as its sequel, but how is the level of chaos? I'm pretty much looking for more of the same: wild swordfights with explosions everywhere and 50 million orcs running around. Also, is it better on any one system?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The Two Towers was a lot less chaotic than RotK. The camera was in closer and usually more cinematic than useable. It's a good game, but in a different way.

Also, TTT went through some FotR events.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I ended up renting this last night for a buddy and I to play in co-op. Definitely very cool, but I did notice some problems...
    • You can't skip past the cut scenes. As good as they are when you want to get on with the game you can't - you have to watch them over and over.
    • There was noticeable slowdown on the Xbox version when lots of particle effects (fog) was on screen. Strangely there are no problems when the entire screen is filled with warring characters.
    • In coop you sometimes are fighting the screen when players at opposite sides.

The leveling up capability is fairly well done - running for the next boost in points and, consequently, new moves. Not like an RPG with details ad nauseum. You choose from a list of moves and abilities from each level and "spend" your points as you choose.

Character animations are smooth but the fighting system is very basic, at least initially. More button mashing than anything else but fun nevertheless. The ranged attacks I thought are well done - very accessible by simply holding the left trigger, aiming with the left stick, and shooting with the A button. Very intuitive to quickly switch into ranged mode and direct fire - one example of this is an area where you're protecting an Ent as he struggles to open a huge door, quickly shooting at archers while battling foes as they surround you. Back and forth with this action and it is very smooth. Likewise with any combat where you can from ranged to melee with ease. Ammo is limited but becomes available quite frequently.

After a little while in both coop and single player this seems like a solid title. If you have a buddy (or buddies) to join you it's really a blast. The challenges noted above are an annoyance though.

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

The only complaint I have about the game is the last level. It's named "The crack of doom", the 3 character paths intersect, and the battles leading up to it are awesome. I was expecting a war to end all wars with the other 5 NPCs fighting alongside me, and it TOTALLY didn't go down like that.

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Well, "The Black Gate" left me psyched for more and anticipating how the next level would top it. I figured the rest of the NPCs would show up and they'd somehow get even more orcs on the screen, maybe some dragons too, maybe the Dead King shows up, etc. I have not read the books or watched the movies so I did not know how the game was "supposed" to end. I'm interested in them after playing this game though and I'll probably rent the movies. The Black Gate would have been a great last level, I just thought what followed was completely anticlimatic in comparison.

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

15. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

I swung by EB early yesterday morning and picked this up This is what an action game is all about. I don't know much about the films, but I can easily tell effort went into making the game as cinematic as possible.

I tried out the online mode and it ran relatively smooth, some people wouldn't spare me a damn health orb no matter how low my health was. But it kind of brings back the memories of going up to the local arcade and playing things like the old simpson's beat-em-up machine. Kudos to EA for including this feature as it sets a good example to other companies...if they make another hunter and buffy they should be online as well.

16. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

17. Todd_N

Todd_N Agent

I finally got this a couple of days ago for Xbox. I havent had a chance to play it very much yet but I am enjoying it so far. I have a question about the 'Hobbits on Gaming' clip. When I try to play it the audio is severely out of sync with the video and the video doesnt play back smooth at all lots of freezing and the audio repeats itself. Is this a known problem or do I have a bad disc? The game itself seems fine and the disc is clean. I havent had any problems like this playing the interviews on my Two Towers game.

Todd

18. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

There are known problems with Thompson drive Xboxes and EA games in general, but I don't think there's any specific known problems with ROTK.

19. Stephen J*

Stephen J* Stunt Coordinator

There was a (cute) chick at Costco who was pulling all of their TTT copies the other day...not sure if the title is being pulled elsewhere or what.

20. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

Refresh my memory. TTT can be found pretty cheaply now, right? I might pick this one up. I loved renting ROTK and expect TTT to be just as fun, if a little different.