What's new

Two Towers Possible Release Date (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
I think it's time I put in my own 2 cents (or two pence being as I'm British) and say the following. Anyone who cares about the Lord of the Rings films should buy both the Theatrical Cut DVD and the Extended Cut DVD.
Personally I detest this trend for re-releasing films at a later date with extended footage, enhanced effects or so-called Director's Cuts. All of which are supposed to be somewhat 'better' than the originals. However, I'm not naïve enough to think that I can stop them. However, the reasoning behind releasing the extended Lord of the Rings films is slightly different (something I will get to later). But it's still important to own and preserve the original theatrical version of the movie no matter what the reasoning is behind releasing an different cut of the film at a later date.
Each and every film, when all said and done is a historical document. As well as telling us the story of the film, they also tell us the story of the time they were made. The stories that they tell, and how they tell them document the mood of the times. The filmmaking techniques documents the evolution of the director, actors and key production crew at the time. The effects document the technology of the time. And any compromises document the releasing studio's faith in the original movie's concept, or disagreements with the creators, or financial burdons of the time.
Of course, most of these reasons are rendered somewhat irrelevent due to the fast turn around on the Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings films, but they do document something else just as important (and something that is likely to become more and more important as Home Theatre continues to grow). They document the differences between a the theatrical experience of seeing a film and the home experience of seeing a film.
The Extended Editions are not cuts of the film that Peter Jackson prefers - time and time again he has disputed anyone who calls them Director's Cuts. But they are cuts of the films for a different viewing experience (and perhaps a different medium?) - the home viewing experience.
From Empire Online:
, but that'll be good for the DVD. There's a bunch of good scenes."
The emphasis is, of course, mine - but it makes my point. Fears about pacing are not as relevant when viewing at home, where people can enjoy the film at their own pace - stopping and starting at their own pace. The same is probably true about sub-plots which are often cut from final movies - again at home people can stop and review scenes if required. And finally, the home viewing experience is likely to include repeat viewings making additional character setpieces and interactions more rewarding than they would be when viewed only once in a cinema.
I urge anyone who is considering not buying the theatrical version in August to do so. Not only will they be purchasing a documentation of a milestone in moviemaking history, but when compared to the later extended release they will have the means to compare, contrast and learn how Jackson created a unique film for each intended viewing experience.
If you seem to have problems purchasing the 'same' film twice, look at it this way: The second disc of the theatrical release will likely contain supplements not to be found on the later release so just look at both releases combined as being one supersized 6 disc boxset, with the original theatrical cut of the film being nothing more than another supplement.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As with FotR, we will be getting both. James is right in that it's worth having the original theatrical cut first and foremost, and directors/extended/special cuts as an extra way of enjoying the movie. That's why I've kept both the original and 2nd releases of each of the Star Trek films so far. I wish I had the original cut of ST:TMP as well.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
James I completely agree with u. Yet I don't even think twice about buying LOTR erm twice .
I bough both Pearl Harbour DVDs (TC and DC) (I thought twice about it then) so I won't under no circumstances think twice about buying EE and TC of Jackson's interpretation of THE Book of the 20th century.
That's my 2 cents and pence combined (luxembourgish Euros and british pounds)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I'm also with James in the buy-both-releases camp. As much as I love the extended cut of The Fellowship of the Ring, I'll always want to hold on to the theatrical cut. This is (a) because it's the film I originally saw in the cinemas, and (b) because I think it's superior in some parts.
I'm glad to have seen the extended narration from Bilbo that opens the extended cut
...but I think I prefer the theatrical opening. Same with the two different versions of the Fellowship's entry into Lothlorien.
If the changes made for the extended cut of The Two Towers are on the same level as those made for the first film, I'm definitely going to want to have both versions. Why deny myself either one?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if they're doing the mail-in rebates again this year? With those, the original doesn't even cost very much.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Anyone know if they're doing the mail-in rebates again this year? With those, the original doesn't even cost very much.
that would only work for u lucky US and Canadian citizens not for the rest of the world (esp UK and Europe) with all the money the studios get from LOTR they really could do it.
Then again the TC will cost max 16-17quid / 25€ /25$
which is still allright (well for europe)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I agree with the rationale for buying both. Plus, these films have brilliant trailers, and only the original release of FOTR included the trailers.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I have bought and will continue to buy both versions of these films. I will likely have them till the day I die, and the extra cost of ~$17(TC store price on release) is little in the long run. I've spent more on movies that were not nearly as good.

Sean

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Another reason reason to get both sets is that there are some good features on the original set that aren't on the extended set. In fact, none of the features from the first set are on the extended edition. Just to name two things that are on the first set only: Theatrical trailers and Enya video for "May it Be".

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Sorry, I'm in the camp that maybe watches the extras on DVD once and that's it. In fact, if there would have been a 2-disc release of the Extended Edition (without any extras), I'd have opted for that instead of the 4 disc set.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm with John... and I watch Director's and Extended cuts (save Army of Darkness) FAR more than I watch theatrical cuts...

Sign me up for the EE when it arrives. I managed to avoid the original LotR, and it saved me 20 bucks, and I spent that on a disc that I watched in the meantime.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll buy both, waiting until June/August is long enough, why wait until November when I don't need to. Most likely BB will have it for $16 or so, small potatoes for one of the best fantasy movies ever.
Peace Out~:D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If they had a super Collector's edition that had the EE and the original I'd go that route but since they didn't with the first I doubt the next one will so I'll end up getting both.

Besides I bet that 2 disc reversion will be available for around $14 dollars. Since it will probably have some extras that aren't on the EE it really isn't a tough choice for me to buy both.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I'll probably rent the first and buy the 2nd. Unless, like LOTR, Blockbuster runs their $20 coupon for 10 rentals and get TTT free. I'll jump on that.

Kami

Screenwriter
Well, something more official now.

According to DVD Review magazine (a magazine in the UK), we'll see it on June 30th.

We're thrilled to reveal the release date of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers on British DVD! Entertainment in Video tells us the middle chapter of Peter Jackson’s phenomenally popular epic will be provisionally available to buy on 30 June.

Late June will see the 179-minute theatrical cut arrive on a two-disc set. As part of its raft of extras, which stands to include mini internet documentaries and television specials, it may even carry a preview of the third and final installment, The Return of the Kind, in UK cinemas this December.

The main DVD event for The Two Towers will happen in late 2003. A stunning four-disc extended version is tipped for release in November. Anticipate more thrilling, romantic and funny scenes between the huge ensemble of heroes and villains. Prepare yourself for exclusive documentaries charting the 600 effects shots from start to finish, the amazing production designs by Weta Workshop craftspeople and spotlights on the groundbreaking, completely CGI’d characters of Treebeard and Gollum, the treacherous yet sympathetic creature who stole the show for many”

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Any word if there will be a Collectors Gift set that contains something like the book ends that were in the first one?

If they do make new book ends how about the two towers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks