What's new

Two Towers Platinum Edition- Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
well, I went out and did it and bought the extended cut of TTT. I figure the DTS sound alone will be a big plus towards buying it as well the many hours worth of extras. I also decided that I'm going to keep my theatrical cut of TT to take advantage of what that one has to offer as well.

As a funny sidenote, I bought the extended cut today without realizing that I'm eligible for a rebate from them for buying the theatrical cut a few weeks ago. A great DVD and a little extra money for buying it, can't go wrong there:) .

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It's way better than the theatrical cut, Keith. I didn't think the Fellowship EE was that big of an improvement; in fact, in some ways I prefer the theatrical version of Fellowship. But the characters are so much more fully realized in TTT:EE that you feel more for them.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Extended Ed: worth it
Theatrical Cut: sell it (try Amazon or eBay or Half) OR... keep it it has different extras.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I have several theories which might explain why Peter Jackson prefers his theatrical versions:

First of all, I've had the darndest time trying to get my friends to watch these movies (even those who like epic fantasy). There are many people who simply cannot sit through a movie the length of the EE. Jackson realizes that a more concise film is the one most people will sit through. It's "movie-length" rather than "miniseries length": an amazing feat of editing. It is, as has been mentioned, the film nominated for awards. He's proud of "his baby", the product of all the omissions and sweat and tears.

We don't have the same intense relationship with the theatrical version.

Secondly, Jackson is already intimitely familiar with the "omitted" scenes and subplots. For Jackson, the cut scenes (even the good ones) are permanently etched in his mind -- the less-unwieldy theatrical version has all of these scenes already between the lines. Boromir, for example, is a tragic figure rather than a mean-spirited waffler... but without the added scenes, we would never know this like Jackson knows this.

We (meaning those of us who generally like the films) never had the satisfaction of conceiving and filming these scenes and subplots. They're still fresh to us ... we DO want a miniseries, not a movie. The world they conceived gets deeper and bigger as we see these new scenes.

There are genuine fans of the series who prefer the theatrical cut, and for good reasons... I, for the record, do prefer the extended editions. I like long, long, long movies that I can get lost inside... that said, Jackson's statements do not surprise or annoy me.

s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks