Two Towers Platinum Edition- Worth it?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith_R, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I recently bought the 2 disc version of LOTR:TT but am now having second thoughts, thinking perhaps that I should've gotten the 4 disc extended cut. However looking at it, the set looks exactly the same as the FOTR 4 disc set only it's a different movie.

I love these films but feel as though TT is the weakest, do the added 30 minutes of footage add anything to the movie or is much of the scenes unneeded? What do you all think of the extras on the 4 disc, much of the same from last time or is it new and fresh? I still have time to exchange for the other set, what do you all think I should do? thanks.

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Read the reviews; it's all-different extras and an extended cut of the film. Worth every penny.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I say go for it as my experience tells me that TTT EXT ED is more complete, plus some amazing documentaries as well

4. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Those extra minutes of footage in the film made me enjoy it twice as much. Especially the background of Faramir/Boromir... I wouldn't pass it up. As a matter of fact I've seem ROTK one time at the movies, and will not watch it again until the EE comes out...

- Jack

5. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I have bought both versions of each film released, and each extended edition adds so much to the movie that it is almost like watching a new film. As stated above, "Worth every penny."

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The extras are similar, but different. Nothing for example on forced perspective and how they used that and other techniques to make the hobbits look small, but rather a pretty big feature on how they did Gollum. They have maps again, but they are focused on TTT locations, so they are not really duplication of the first maps.

As far as the additional scenes, I am mostly pleased, but there are some the don’t really add anything (and may detract) unless you are a fan and want to see everything possible (e.g. Eowyn serving Aragorn an unpalatable stew).

There are again four commentaries, meaning that to get it all you need to go through all four hours, five times (which I have done, BTW).

If you are a fan (or you want to know a lot about how the film was made) this is a must have—if not, stay with the 2-disk set.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

The extended edition is the way to go. I love both versions - that being said, when I watched the EE, my jaw just dropped at how much more depth has been added to this film with the new scenes. [​IMG]

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Ditto on the extended cut. The extras are great as well. Even though the first set has 6 hours of documentary on the making of FotR, the 6 hours on THIS set are not superfluous at all.

Seriously, at $25-$30 for over 20 hours of highly-rewatchable stuff (counting the commentaries), these sets are among the greatest bargains in home entertainment history. Unless, of course, you don't like the films at all, in which case you wouldn't even be asking the question!

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Plus one of the coolest Easter Eggs ever included on DVD.

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I don't like all the additions of the EE, but it's still preferred simply for the Farimar/Borimor scenes. That alone makes up for the other added scenes that are a bit redundant or ones that fall a little flat.

And you get the options of either Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES...both are great, but the LFE is a little weaker on the DTS mix. Especially when the Orcs are at Helms Deep and begin to bang their axes/swords in the ground.

11. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Amazing, this is how I feel too! I'm looking forward to how much better I think the EE of ROTK will be over the theatrical edition.

12. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yes, it's actually closer to 45 minutes that were added back in and I love them all. Plus the documentaries are very different than the ones on Fellowship and the commentaries (at least the 2 I've listened to) are excellent as well. Don't hesitate to pick this one up.

13. WillG

WillG Producer

14. Matt_H

Matt_H Stunt Coordinator

from dvdreview.com
    Insert the first DVD from the box set – the one containing the first half of the movie. From the Main Menu go to the 'Select A Scene' submenu where you proceed to go to the last page of these scene selections. Now highlight the 'Of Herbs And Stewed Rabbit' menu entry and press the 'Down' arrow key on your remote control. The One Ring will appear on the screen now and if you press 'Enter' you will see some footage of Peter Jackson congratulating you to finding this Easter Egg, followed by the clip from the MTV Movie Awards featuring Gollum’s hilarious acceptance speech for 'Best Virtual Performance.'

15. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I was suprised, after hearing so much about DTS that once I bought a DTS compatible player, I thought I would be blown away by the sound. However, I wasn't. In fact, I thought the bass was extremely weak on the LOTR discs compared to the dolby track. Oh well, this might be just one instance.

16. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Oh, God, no! No, no, no, no ... All of you DTS fanboys must resist the temptation to lash out. Let's keep this thread free of the DD/DTS crap, please...

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not only would I run and buy the 4 disk TTT:EE but I would also buy the 4 disk FOTR:EE as well. When the 4 disk ROTK:EE comes out, nothing will probably ever match this Lord Of The Rings set in my opinion, ever.

The extra footage in TTT adds key elements to this film and it benefits even more than FOTR with its additions.

18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think the extra footage makes The Two Towers a much stronger film. I was lucky enough to catch the extended editions of both FOTR and TTT in theaters in the weeks before Return Of The King came out. Having seen both extended versions and ROTK in a very close proximity, I think that the extended cut of Two Towers might be my favorite film in the series.

The DVD is amazing. The design of the extras is similar to the FOTR EE, but the actual content is not. I'm still trying to get through everything on there, but it's definitely a great DVD to have.

19. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Also, there are plot points that are actually clarified in the EE that made little or no sense to me. As already said, the Faramir/Boromir scene is also wonderful. And the rest of the scenes, while I'm unsure about a couple, they do make the film a much better film.

While some of the extras are similar to the FOTR extras, they are specifically targetted to TTT, and offer a lot of new information. I never felt bored or experienced deja vu watching them.

And given all the major plot elements deleted out of the TE of ROTK which will be added to the EE, you will have to get the ROTK:EE, so why not get the TTT:EE? (I assume you have the FOTR:EE, otherwise similarity of extras wouldn't be a concern).

20. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I definitely believe the TT extended edition is my favorite of all the LOTR films. Then again I might change my mind when I see the ROTK extended edition. But for me Two Towers:EE has such a wonderful magical quality to it due in large part to the Ents and the return of Gandalf. Speaking of which, the opening scenes with him fighting the Balrog is probably the best opening of any movie I've seen. I realize it's in the theatrical cut as well but damn if I ever direct a movie I would want it to start with a kick to the gut and subsequently dragging the audience down through to hell just like Two Towers begins.

Additional scenes I love in Two Towers Extended Edition

- The brief opening scenes with Frodo, Sam and the Elven rope(and the Shire salt). Provided some nice light-hearted moments.

- Treebeard 'singing' to Merry and Pippin. Fantastic.

- Merry and Pippin drinking the water in Fangorn and subsequently being 'swallowed' by the tree. Great additional music by Howard Shore.

- Ewoyn singing the funeral song in Old English was very moving.

- The aforementioned addition of Baromir's scenes with Denothor.

- Aragorn gets acquainted with Brego.

-The addition of the Orcs running into the Huorns and being thrashed at the end of the Helm's Deep battle.

There's probably more additional scenes I'm forgetting and perhaps scenes I think are for the EE but actually were in the theatrical cut.

At any rate, good god man run don't walk and get the extended edition of Two Towers! Probably one of the finest cinematic experiences I've ever had.