Two Toshibas, side by side...is this a problem.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan Peddle, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I just had delivered my new Toshiba 51H84 yesterday...and oh man is the picture sweet.

It is replacing my wonderful and very long lasting 32 Toshiba direct view.

Both are CRT based obviously. So my big question is, is there any problems with them being right beside eachother. Will I damage either set (especially the new HDTV if I place them beside eachother and use each one for there appropriate usage.

The reason I am doing this is, one I live in an apartment for now and don't really have another location to put the old set. Two, I'm not the only one living here, my wife and a collage friend now roommate live here too. They have no idea how to set things up and work things properly. I'd prefer for them to keep the dvd watching to the new widescreen and the SD cable to the 32" direct view for now. The two tv's are within 1.5 inches of eachother.

If this will damage the new set, due to magnetism, electron flow or voltage, then off to my parent the old one goes. Keep in mind, neither set will be used in conjunction with the other, nor will they be used at the same time.

Any knowledgable advice will help,

Thanks

2. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

Most stores that sell tv sets place them right next to each other--sometimes almost touching. I've never heard of a problem with this. I did this myself for several months with my Pioneer projection set and Sony XBR direct view. No problems.

You definitely will have to adjust convergence with the rptv whenever it is moved or another tv or speaker placed nearby.

There is no reason to worry about the location you described.

3. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Great. Another poster on another forum brought up the same point. I prefer this set up for now because SD cable doesn't look very good on the 51H84, as expected. So this will be the way I keep things for a while until I need a television in another room.

Now if I could just get into the service menu to turn down the rcut and do a proper convergence.

4. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ryan,

For the service menu, the code should work ... it even works on my 32" LCD TV.

Since the TV is new, your mute will most likely go from on - 1/2 mute - mute. If this is the case, press the mute button twice (so the TV is completely muted, press and HOLD the mute on the remote while pressing the menu button on the TV. You should now see an "S" in the top left corner.

Press select to go into your R-CUTS.

Remember ... Write down all settings before changing.

5. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

That did it.

The S shows up in the middle right of the screen. When I press the menu button on the remote it displays RCUT 98H. If I move through the number pad it changes from setting to setting.

Is there a good site that describes what these are and used from. Also, how do I get into the 56 pt convergence.

I'll surf around and try to find out.

6. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

A couple of sites that can help are:

HomeTheaterSpot

Koehi

I think I posted some detailed tweaks over at Hometheaterspot, but it may be in the paid members section.

I'd start at the Keohi site,the section on convergence is really straight forward. Once your in the service menu and at the RCUT menu, press "7" on the remote. Here are the controls on the remote on how to navigate:

Remote Comands for convergence

Some tips are:

Don't move the Green Grid (unless you're adjusting the geometry). Remember, there isn't a go back function.

Start off turning off the blue gun and allign the Red to the green grid.
    Then turn off the red gun and turn on the blue gun. Now allign the blue to the green.
    Now turn on all guns and fine tune.

Also remember that since the set is new, the convergence will drift the most in the first 100 hours. I'd recommend doing a convergence now, and again in a couple months.

When finished, press 7 to save.

I think Toshiba changed the grids, so there is one master grid, but I'd double check each resolution. Feed the set a 480i signal, go into the menu and adjust, then 480p and adjust, then 720p and adjust and so on.