Two Toshiba Tweaks at the White House

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris White, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

My wife and I completed two Toshiba projects this weekend. The first project was to remove the protective screen from my Toshiba. I reshuffled the screen stack long ago, but this weekend I decided the removal method is better. This page has a few pictures and more details for anyone interested: Weekend Project #1
    The second project was to paint our Toshiba TW65X81. We've never much cared for the gray color and finally decided to do something about it. This page has some pictures and more details: Weekend Project #2

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Kewl!!

The set looks great in black

Gregg

3. John Tyrone

John Tyrone Agent

Hi Chris. Your set looks so much better visually now that it's black. I had the 50h81 and the gray border around the screen was a distraction. I also had some other problems with it so I bought the mits 55809, which has a nice black frame.

I might have to remove the screen now!

John

4. Francois_Laliberte

Chris,

it looks great, congratulations

5. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

That was a brave move!

Looks great though.

6. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

Holy Moly! I can't believe no one thought of this before! The black looks really good. Plus, all 4 of my screen frame sides have been horribly torn up from taping too many things to them over the last 2 years (overlays, strings, etc). I was planning on spending $50 for replacements from PacParts. Painting just never occurred to me at all, not to mention painting them black.

Nice job using the noggin', Chris!

Steve

7. StephenMSmith

I also wanted to echo your findings on restacking vs. removing the contrast shield. I could never get a perfectly flat and tight screen stack w/the contrast screen moved to the back. I think it's just too heavy and prone to bend and loosen over time as well.

Did you notice that the corner pieces have clamps that don't come anywhere near the actual screen stack (with or without all 3 screens)? I took my screen stack apart again last week to weatherstrip the corner clamps so the corners are held as firm as the sides. It took a pair of stacked weatherstipe segments to put any pressure on the screen corners. I don't know if Toshiba intended this or not. I didn't have any compelling reason to do it either, I'm just running out of things to do on my set...

Steve

8. SHAWN SZILEZY

SHAWN SZILEZY Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    The set looks awesome in black. Now you have me contemplating painting my TW40.
    Thx......Shawn [​IMG]

9. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Thanks for the kind words guys!
    It took a pair of stacked weatherstipe segments to put any pressure on the screen corners.
    Steve, this makes me wonder whether there is something wrong with your corner clamps. My corners were a bit loose before, but with the 3/8 weather-stripping they are quite snug.
    I'm just running out of things to do on my set.
    [​IMG] My wife got a big kick out of that statement.

10. Chuck Sullivan

Chris,

Looks great. Did you use spray cans or brush? Couldn't tell from the photos so how does it compare to the Elite series finish?

Thanks

Chuck

11. StephenMSmith

Hmmm, your corner clamps make contact w/the screen stack w/one 3/8" stripping? Maybe there is something wrong w/my corner clamps. I think Tom H. reported the same gap on his 65H80 though.

Just to be sure we talking about the same thing: I'm referring to the L shaped pieces w/the 3 angled screws on either end. They have a short stub extension on each side facing inward towards the screen. When they're fit into the bezel pieces, it's those stubs that don't make contact w/the screen stack itself, at least not w/o double-stripping on my set.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Steve

12. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Did you use spray cans or brush? Couldn't tell from the photos so how does it compare to the Elite series finish?
    We used spray paint for the plastic pieces and a brush for the chassis. When we first painted the front center piece, we did coat it with polyurethane to give it the high gloss piano lacquer (i.e., Elite) finish. It looked great, but tended to reflect every light in the room too much so we sanded off the polyurethance and repainted with a flat black finish instead. You can't tell from the lousy pictures, but the base of the chassis was finished with two coats of polyurethane and does have a piano laquer finish.
    Steve:
    Take a close look at this picture: Inside Corner I'm not sure if my corner clamps are the same as you've described or not. As you can see in the picture, the corner piece has two tabs that go inward. It is those tabs that make firm contact with the weather-stripping.

13. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Chris, bravo on the paint job. It looks much classier and richer now - definitely beats the original toy plastic gray by a long shot.

14. StephenMSmith

Yeah, those are the clamps. Very weird. It looks like your screws for this piece are going straight in, rather than angled. Is that true? That might explain why your clamps make contact and mine didn't.

Steve