Two Toned Letter-box Bars

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Tedesco, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

Yeah, let me see if I can explain this one.

I have noticed this before on a few widescreen movies (only the 2:35 format).

The latest is the new extended version of the Two Towers, it is also on the original.

Basically when watching the movie, I seem to see that the black bars are 2 shades of black. If I set my brightness down a bit, I do not see the difference.

The weird thing is, when I set my brightness to Video Essentials, the 2 shades show up...when I darken it a bit, I can't notice.

Really I'm just wondering what this is? I have the Sony 36inch XBR HDTV. Using Component cables with the Pioneer 563a DVD Player.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about???

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You see this when viewing anamorphic dvds on a 4:3 TV. The outer bars (usually darker) are generated by the player and the inner bars (usually lighter) are actually part of the video. Since all of the lines of resolutino are "squeezed" into the 16x9 part of the picture the player must generate top and bottom bars to fill the rest of a 4:3 screen. These bars are rarely the exact same shade of black as the black bars that fill the remainder of the 16x9 part of the picture on 2.35x1 movies. You don't see the different shades of lines on 16x9 displays since the player doesn't have to generate anything to fill the rest of the screen.

Hope this makes sense [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chris, it would be nice to know what kind of monitor we're talking about here. Is it one with a 16:9 mode?

Instead of reducing the "brightness" (i.e., black level), try reducing the "contrast" (white level).

On a semantic note, these are not "black bars"; they are dead space. If your 4:3 display has a 16:9 mode, the area left over on the screen after the scanning-line raster has been collapsed is simply inactive. If you're seeing light-shaded bands within this when screening very widescreen films, you need to reduce the contrast.

4. Chris Tedesco

Thanks Guys,

Yes I have a 36 inch Sony XBR HDTV that has 16x9 mode. It is a CRT. Thanks for the advise, I will try that out.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hey there. Since you have a current-vintage WEGA, you have a 16:9 mode. Now remember, "contrast" is called "picture" in Sony nomenclature. Good luck.

6. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I too started experiencing this problem of two shades of black bars. My tv does not have a 16x9 mode but since I hooked up my new LiteOn player I have been experiencing this. I can change the players internal settings for brightness and contrast but it makes the picture too dark. I can then compensate by using the tv's settings to make the picture brighter, but that makes the black bars dark grey, which is distracting, and makes the picture look toohigh contrast yet washed out at the same time. Anyone have any tips? This new liteon player is the only one I have used that caused this, yet I want to keep it because the picture is an improvement over my old toshiba and my cheapo magnavox.

7. Chris Tedesco

Hey Benson,

That's a big pain huh? It seems you really have to have the perfect balance with the Brightness and the Picture. It's taken me a while and I'm not 100% satisfied. It's funny I really didn't notice this before.

Black levels are key.