two times in one year

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Blair, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Well, I didn't believe it. My boss pulls me aside yesterday to tell me that our help desk is moving to Dallas. For the people that don't know, Dallas is about a 3hr drive from Austin.
    He told me that I could move with them, and most likely become an employee, I am a contractor now. The problem is this. My fiancée is in school, with about a year and a half left. All of our wedding plans are down here, so we would have to make everything else from long distance. My contract for my apartment isn't over until October.
    So, it looks like I am looking for a new job AGAIN. I was laid off in March of last year, and my dept is moving in April. Nice one year anniversary, and birthday present.
    Thanks for letting me vent y'all. And, if anyone needs a computer guy at there place, let me know. [​IMG]

2. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Jeff -

That really sucks!!! I'll keep my eyes open for something, since I still get the occasional call from recruiters.

As for Dallas - could you do something like rent a cheap apartment in Dallas and crash there Monday-Friday, then come back to Austin on weekends? That may be an OK arrangement while you wait for your fiancée to finish school and your lease to run out.

Being a single guy, I'd probably take the forced transfer to Dallas rather than look for jobs in this market. The IT job market in Austin still isn't that great...

3. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

For a second I thought you were referring to my current track record of getting laid. [​IMG]
    Seriously though, bummer about the job. It sucks that the industry is in this kind of shape. I hope things work out for you.
    Moe.

4. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

Well, it is offical now. We just had a meeting with our manager. My dept is moving April 1st. The good thing is, I already have an interview set up for Friday. So, wish me luck. [​IMG]

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, I don't know what your financial situation is like but I would second the advice above: Move there temporarly (rent a room or something) while looking for something else. Drive home every week end. I did that as a summer intern (2h drive instead) and it was a breeze. Really it could have been much worse. You can easily do it if you want to. I wouldn't want to get laid off in this market.

I assume you don't have kids, you don't have a family yet, you should be more flexible than you sound.

--

Holadem

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Good luck, Jeff. I hope everything works out for you. [​IMG]