What's new

Two Things That I Think Are Priced Unreasonably (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont even bother shaving anymore, with the exception of where the facial hair meets my neck. I do that small area once a week to keep it looking clean.

I wore a goatee since the late 80s, but the past 3 years or so have been walking around with a beard.

I was only getting 1 and 1/2 uses out of each razor and gave up on them. I just let it grow for about 2 weeks and then trim it down with a electric and start over again.

Even though I work in the corp environment,as long as its neat, no one says anything about it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know most are against electric shavers, but considering I've only bought 2 electric shavers in the past 19+ years, I've probably saved a pretty penny by not buying shaving cream and blades.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Yeah. I didn't want to bring that up, figuring it would start a real war, but I have used the same electric razor for maybe 10 years. Bought new heads once, cost about $5. But that's about it. Shaves close enough for me.

I have a Sam's Club special of disposables, cost like $8 for 72 razors or something, that I have been slowly working thru for four or five years. Bought the big lot just in case I need a disposable.

So, I guess I'm ok with the cost of razors.

MC

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Still, there's an Eastwoodishness about scruff, no...?

Unreasonably priced: Blockbuster rentals.:thumbsdown:

Thank you, Netflix!:emoji_thumbsup:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I can't use regular razors on my chin. Hair is too thick there and it hurts like a mutha so I've always been an electric shaver kind of guy. But I seem to go through those once a year. They aren't cheap to replace either. :)

As for scruffy, it doesn't matter for me. I end up with a 5 0'clock shadow by noon no matter how close I shave. :D

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Just to put another spin on this thread, one thing that doesn't cost anything that I get a lot of fulfillment, enjoyment and gratification out of: The home theater forum.

I know, I know, you have to pay for internet service, yes, but for me, that is an essential in life. ok I said it. there is no debate. heating A/C food gas, a home and internet service. I would get rid of cable and satellite before giving up Internet.

but that being said, the HTF is a freebie (and yes, I have contributed to it in times of need....gladly I may add).

But compared to the hundreds of dollars I spend on Starbucks and movie concessions and other thigns mentioned in this thread every year...the HTF is a bargain !

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Apartments. Very difficult to find any decent 1 bedrooms for less than 1,000/month around here. There should be a cap on rent like there is in New York. :angry: :angry: :angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
which equates to more sleeping time in the morning. :D I can wake up, shower & shave and be out of the house in 15 minutes. Not that I recommend that, but on those days that I need that sleep. :emoji_thumbsup:

mark alan

Supporting Actor

An even better tip. Just dry shave, no water, no shaving cream. As long as the razor never gets wet, the edge will not oxidize. You can use a disposable razor practically forever.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I buy distilled water every now and then and wouldn't consider buying any other type (if you want pure water, why have minerals in it?).

I'm with others about things being over-priced, if you're still buying it then it wasn't too high for you yet.

;)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Diesel fuel. It costs less to refine and you get more per barrel than gasoline so why does it cost as much as unleaded premium?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You're falling into the 'cost less to produce must = low price' trap again.

The stations don't sell as much diesel as unleaded fuel, thus the higher price.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought
was printer cartridges. Every time I have to get new
cartridges for my cheapie printer (fortunately it isn't
often), I feel my blood pressure rise a few points.
It's bullshit to pay $60 for ink to feed a $100 printer.

I also agree with bottled water, but I only drink bottled
and will not drink tap water again (my tap water tastes
horrible).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why? Ink is expensive. Would you feel better if they didn't sell $100 printers? Would it make you feel better if they only sold $500 printers to make the ink seem less expensive?

I once bought a car for $1,000 and over the course of it's lifetime, I probably spent thousands of dollars in gas (years ago when gas was under $1/gallon). Does that mean gas was unreasonable?

I've filled my refrigerator with groceries, to the point where the food totaled more than the refrigerator. Does that mean the food is unreasoable?

The thing about marketing is, they can sell printers for less (and take a hit on cost) because they know they'll make it up on ink sales. But if that doesn't seem fair, would it be better for the comapnies to stop taking the hit on printers and sell them for what they REALLY cost?

I don't think a lot of people would like that. Then we'd have "Printers are overpriced" threads ;)

E

Eric Kahn

Ink jet printer refill prices are the exact reason I have a color laser printer, paid 65 dollars for it used (lexmark optra 1275)

I have printed several hundred pages with it so far and not had to put any replacement toner in it yet, I have a full set of toner I got off of Ebay for about 100 dollars, each good for like 5000 pages (text of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks