two systems to consider

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RobertS, Sep 17, 2004.

1. RobertS

RobertS Extra

I am looking at purchasing a new receiver and 5.1 speaker set up and have two options:

1. Pioneer vsx52tx (receiver)
    Canton Karat m30DC (front)
    Canton Karat m10DC (rear/surrounds)
    Canton cs4 (center)
    Velodyne ls3500 (sub)

2. Rotel RSX-1067 (receiver)
    Paradigm Mini Monitor (fronts)
    Paradigm adp 170 (surrounds)
    Paradigm cc370 (center)
    Paradigm pw2200 (sub)

both systems are around the same price, I just don't know if I should put more money toward speakers or the receiver? I will use the system for 80% movies / 20% music. The dealer I would get the 2nd system from does have free speaker upgrade for a year.

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert, I have listened to the Cantons, brought home m60dc floor standers for a test drive. I have Paradigms 450cc, Esprit bp's and I use mini monitor for suurounds as well as adp350's. I also brought home a pair if Linn Ninka's. I really liked the sound of the Cantons over the digms. To me the tweeter seemed smoother. Cantons were very detailed and their soundstage is wider. Paradigms can give you similar sound, however, I found that the paradigms were more focused, and you really needed to set them up correctly. I found you needed to sit in the sweet spot for the best sound. I ultimately choose the Linn speakers because to me they sounded fuller. I like the sound of the Pw2200, although I ended buying a Paradigm servo 15. If you could mix and match your set up I would prefer to go with the Rotel rcvr. The pio is also very nice.
    The Paradigm studio 60's are also very nice sounding, depending on your budget. Studio cc 470 for center and studio 20's for surrounds. PW2200 for a sub. I personnally like the sound of NAD, so I would go with NAD T163 pre and T973 amplifier.
    If you have a chance to listen to Linn speakers I would also highly recommend the Ninka speaker, but they are pricy.

Good Luck in your quest. I dont think you could go wrong with the 2 choices you have outlined above. Both systems would be very capable systems for music and h/t. It really comes down to your preference in sound. I would venture to say that if you did not have the ability to A/B both systems side by side you may not even notice any sound differences.

Regards, Tom

3. RobertS

RobertS Extra

Tom,

thanks for your input, I did really like the sound of the Cantons over the paradigm mini monitor's. I also just listened to the paradigm studio 60's and 40's and was blown away by them (I think they sounded as good as the Canton's), but I just purchased a projector and screen and need to keep around $4,000.00 for speakers and receiver. The second dealer does have free speaker upgrade within a year so I might go with the mini's for now and upgrade next year to the studio's. The second dealer also lives near me and said he would stop by and help me set everything up and make sure it sounds great. I thought it was interesting that one dealer put most of the budget into speakers and the second dealer put more toward the receiver so I was wondering what makes more of an impact, the receiver or the speakers?

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert, your question regarding impact of spkr or rcvr is they both impact the quality of sound to the same extent.
    For example; if you buy real expensive speakers but under power them with a budget rcvr, the rcvr may be over worked and the speakers under powered or distorting due to the rcvr. if you buy separate preamp/processor and amplifier and use them with budget speakers you may notice the speakers sounding much better, but pair the separates to really good speakers and you will hear amazing sounds. Quality speakers should be matched with quality amplification. It has become quite a trend to mate rcvrs with power amps, the sound stage normally becomes wider and more detailed because you are not pushing the rcvr near its limits especially on quick power hungry transients.
    Full separates allow you to upgrade the pre/pro when and if new formats become available.

I hope I made some sense. If I were to do this all over again IMHO I would go separates for the processor and amps and I would buy Good speakers that I was happy with from the beginning. I have found as others have I am sure, that upgrading becomes very, very expensive.

Regards, Tom

5. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

Robert, you might want to consider the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K which is essentially the same as the Elite VSX-52TX less a few bells and whistles. They both use the same A.D.E. Mosfet Amp. The 1014TX goes for about $450 from authorized Pioneer e-tailers so this alone can save you about $200 which you can put towards your speakers. Both the ELite 52TX and the 1014TX have the Auto MCACC feature which should optimize the sound of your speakers for your room.

I've never heard the Cantons, but I liked the sound of the Paradigms. I'm considering the Performance Series myself which is a step down from the setup you described. The upgrade option your dealer provides is a nice feature and something to consider.

6. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Speakers. Speakers. Speakers...

Sorry, but none of us can really tell you which ones you should get ('cause you're you & we're us - duh!). You know your budget, listening environment, ears, & preferences. And while yes, everything does have some large or miniscule affect on the sound, the speakers are what finally make all that sound. We're typically talking about orders of magnitude in the THD & freq. resp. differences or impact between speakers and electronics, etc.

Get the best speakers that you can afford and live with. Get the ones you really like, 'cause you'll save $$$ on fewer upgrades (& have more $$$ for content) and you'll likely not want to upgrade as soon. Pioneer (yeah, check out the 1014), Rotel, Yamaha, etc. can all do a decent enough job as electronics (and you could always add a used amp if you get talked into needing more power). You can practically just go with the features you want/need in a receiver and concentrate most of the auditioning time for speakers. It's the speakers, man (and remember that they'll still sound different at home...) Good Luck!