two subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Smith, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

I recently purchased another sub. I am using a y connection out of my receiver (which has only one sub output)and then running two lengths of rca wire to each sub in separate areas of the room. Each sub is self powered. One of the subs is a JBL, and I use another y connection to input two jacks into it (seems to sound better this way). With the smaller yamaha I just connect the one rca jack. Does this sound about right? I've never had a second sub connected before. The receiver is a Marantz.

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

That setup sounds fine. However you might want to try putting both subs in the same corner, worked well for me.

Harry.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Doug -

Do you calibrate? Have an SPL meter?

I would also be concerned with phase issues. I experimented and found a -15db change at some frequencies due to phase problems.

I second putting the 2 subs together...at least trying it.

- C

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Thanks for the input,

I tried initially putting the two subs together, but my left ear suffered (too much bass from that side of the room)The two subs are also fired differently - the yamaha is a regular 8 inch side firing, while the JBL is a 10 inch floor firing - and this is an interesting combo. For HT the downfiring is superior, but for music, the side firing is better in my opinion. I know its weird, but thats what I've got. Any input?

5. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

I have a two sub setup and don't have them in the same corner. I was unable to put both my subs together in the front of my room. I then tried to place both subs in the back of the room next to my listening position and found that the subs where to loud for me. I then put one sub on the left and the other on the right in the front of the room and then calibrated my system. I have not found a problem with this sub positioning. My listening room is 18.5x12 with 12 foot ceilings and open to the kitchen and dining room. I also have one sub that is front firing and the other is downfiring and found that the front firing is better for music and the downfiring is better for hometheater. If you haven't calibrated your system yet I would recommend doing so. I thought my system sounded great befor calibration, but when I calibrated the system it made a world of difference. I even had a neighbor comment how even my surrounds went with my front speakers. Try putting the subs in different corners; you might be suprised. I was.

Daniel T.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Doug,

I used to have a two sub set up and I was very happy with it for the money.I to tried the same corner, did not work out well at all.I think they need to be the same two subs for best odds on this configuration.It will depend on your room for best placement and the least cancilation.

7. Brad Craig

Brad Craig Stunt Coordinator

If you were to use two identical subs >>> you would want them in-phase correct???

8. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I would suggest placing one in the front corner and the other in the opposite rear corner and running them "out of phase" to each other.

This makes one pull when the other is pushing and the air moving in the main listening (center of the room) is greater.

Give it a try and see what I mean.

John Casler

9. Joel Aparicio

Doug,
    I also have a two sub setup, and both of my subs are in oppisite corners of the room. I found that this evenly distrubuted the bass and left no dead spots in the room. My only concern is that you mentioned that you have two different subs. This can be a nightmare to calibrate seeing how one sub could be overpowering the other and the balance could be way off. My suggestion is that you start by calibrating each one on it's own. Once you do that then you can make minor adjustments according to the room responce when both subs are firing.[​IMG]

10. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Thanks again for the input. Being relatively new to HT i am not sure how to calibrate a sub. What is the instrument used? Where do I getit, and is it expensive?

Thanks.

11. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

You will need the Radio Shack Analog SPL meter. It was on sale this month for $29.99. You will also need AVIA Dvd ($34-$40). All US dollars. Avia has all the test tones in order to calibrate your system. What you will do is calibrate all your speakers to the same sound level. Avia recommends calibrating to 85db. I personally calibrated my system to 75db but that was a personal preference. The most important thing is that all your speakers are set to the same db level.

Daniel T.

12. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

When people say there is too much bass on one side of the room, I think two things.

Considering bass is supposedly non-directional...

The crossovers are set too high.

The sound you are hearing is not only the bass, but the rattle of the wall and other items, which IS directional. I dunno.