What's new

Two Subs...in opposite corners? (1 Viewer)

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Hey Gang...just playing around last night and I added my old Klipsch (plays down to about 30hz) sub to the back left (on the rear riser) corner of my theater room. My SVS 25-31Pci sits in the front right. Anyone else have a similar setup and can share their thoughts?

I am playing with this idea to add some "punch" to the back riser seating area.

I definately noticed a increase in SPL and "shake" to the riser...even my wife said...turn that bass down it's hurting my ears! :D I know I may have to deal with some cancellation issues but curious what you all have experienced if anything!

Thanks!

E

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Erik I'd run some freq sweeps with both then one sub and you'll quickly see if you've got cancelation issues with the subs in opposite corners. There's a very good chance you will which is why we almost always recomend placing them next to each other if possible.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Thanks Andrew. The whole goal is to increase performance on the riser...not just raise dBA's which is what putting two of them together would do. I contacted SVS and they said experimenting with it on the riser and see how she goes!:D I just hooked it up last night and have not performed any test sweeps yet...to check for cancellation.

FYI...they are place asymmetrical to each other...one front right, other back left...so that should help with cancellation issues...from what I've read/been told. ;)

So far...it "seems" ok...but if I'm not happy...the Klipsch just goes to the cabin as planned! :)

E

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
So anyone have a setup like I've described? My inquiring mind wants to know!:D And your thoughts...?

E

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Try some of these documents for a good read:

http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003
http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=122
http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=65

And plug your room numbers into this:
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/reflection/rrc.htm

I have been moving 2 subs around in my 'virtual' room which certainly has saved some back problems. It is certainly a start....

FYI, I'm planning to have my Servo-15 in one corner and my KSW-12 in another. I'm actually looking to get a null near 80 and 40Hz with both subs together in order to tame some poor room response.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I ran over to Erik's house last night to play around with the sub placement in his home theater room.

We discovered that in his sweet spot, there was like a 10 db decrease in volume!!! I have never seen such a big dip in volume, it was cool to discover it. We changed the phase on the Klipsch sub and our SLP went right back up. Cool!

We then calibrated each sub seperately to try and see what the difference would be in the back row next to the Klipsch sub.

We both ended up agreeing that the Klipsch sub was not worthy of adding to his home theater room. Maybe we are both just sub snobs now, since we both have SVS. We could not tell a difference in what we FELT during the impact of the sub. Even though the Klipsch was only 2 feet behind where I was sitting and the SVS was 15 feet away.

Where we noticed the biggest difference was with the sound of the bass. The SVS was so much faster and cleaner than the Klipsch. The Klipsch was giving me a headache from behind. It's hard to explain, but I could feel that the bass that was coming from behind me was different than the bass coming from in front of me. Like I said, maybe I am just used to my SVS subs.

What a difference a room will make. I really do not see why Erik will ever need anymore sub than the 25/31. The sub was only half way up on the gain on the sub and his Rotel was at -6 for the sub setting. It was calibrated at 5 db's over the mains and still had a lot of room to spare. By contrast, I needed 2 16/46 pc's to fill my room which is a family room open to the dinning and kitchen area. Having a dedicated room like Erik sure is an advantage!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
My buddy Jeff beat me to the punch...that's what I get for leaving for the weekend! :D He pretty much summed it up though...my old Klipsch just can't keep pace with the SVS and just added muddy and slow bass to the room...which did give us headaches!:frowning:

So the Klipsch will just go to our cabin for the HT there...a little experimentation goes a long way! Thanks for coming by Jeff!!! :)

E

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks