Two speakers that should sound pretty good, but no one talks about them.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by LanceJ, Mar 15, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Does anybody own, or has anybody at least heard either one of these speakers:

The JBL E50 8" 3-way bookshelf.

The Pioneer ISO-Drive SDF3 8" 2-way bookshelf.

The JBL is very similar to their old S38 which I liked, but has cleaner styling, especially in the grill area. I really like this speaker's horizontal configuration--last night I did some experimenting with my Bostons by laying them sideways on my stands. For some reason this was more easy on the eyes & they "fit" better into the room's visual space--could it have something to do with a long rectangle being less visually jarring than a vertical rectangle?

The Pioneer I would like to hear about also because they have always made good-sounding speakers that don't cost much. I think this ISO-Drive series is a relative of Pioneer's Elite floorstanding (cancelled?) speaker line (a complete $4500 system was reviewed by Stereophile a few years ago).

Thanks!

FYI: if anyone here is old enough to remember Pioneer's HPM series from the late 70s, the reason they looked so much like certain JBL models at the time was because the man who designed the HPMs had previously worked at........JBL! Read about him here. I guess he influenced Pioneer enough to allow the ISO series to be designed/engineered here also.

LJ

2. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I'd be interested in hearing about the E50's as well since they are at a nice price point.

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

NO ONE has heard even the E50?

Hmm. [​IMG] I also like it because unlike its floorstanding cousin the E60, you can put it on the correct stand that has just the right height for your listening position. Most small floorstanders end up firing their high frequencies into my chest, & putting them on stands to correct this ends up making them very wobbly (and IMO rather dumb looking).

This is just a random thought: since the configuration of the E50 & S38 was supposedly based on certain large JBL studio monitors (this one maybe?), I wonder what the chances are of them selling a consumer version of these models? People still buy large floorstanders--why not a modern day version of the legendary Century L100?

Here's another classic "sideways" speaker from another respected company, the Acoustic Research AR-3 (pretty classy looking IMO). There's a 12" acoustic-suspension woofer crammed in there--not exactly real efficient but could really generate the low stuff when needed (this is when 75 watts per channel practically made you hi-fi royalty if you owned such a "monster" amp). This is also the first speaker to use a dome tweeter and a dome midrange.

FYI: back in the day, the above two manufacturers represented two prime examples in what was called the war of the East and West coast sounds. Try to guess which was the laid-back model & which was its "obnoxious" colleague. [​IMG]

LJ

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Based on that, the E50 should also sound glorious!!!

Phil

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Thanks Phil. [​IMG]

That dba newsline writer was correct back in 1999 when he wrote the S38 model would become a classic!

LJ

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I heard the Pioneer and it sounded great. Very well-build and not expensive at all for the sound quality achieved.

The problem with the Pioneer speakers is that everyone assumes they sound bad. People see names like Pioneer, Sony, JVC, or any of the Japanese major electronics company's name on speakers, and they automatically assume their speakers sound bad before listening to them. Pioneer has a long history of coming up with very high-end speaker designs with its TAD and Exclusive (only in Japan) speakers.