What's new

Two Receivers controlled by the same remote (1 Viewer)

nelsonC

Auditioning
Hello everyone,

I have a problem I was hoping someone here would have an answer for. My primary receiver is an Onkyo 6.1 model, the 502 I believe. Having upgraded from an older pioneer, I'm now addicted to their receivers. After purchasing some Aura Pro Shakers, I decided to buy an Onkyo Stereo receiver to power them since it was one of the few lower end receivers I could find at BB/CC that was 4 ohm stable.

The problem lies in that both receivers use the same remote frequencies. When I go to power one on, they both power on. The big problem is that when I turn the volume up or down they both change. I want to set the bass shaker volume and forget it, but the setting always gets distorted by the remote. Currently, every time I want to change the volume during a movie, I have to manually turn off the shakers first, so the setting is preserved. Is there a way I can somehow disable the remote on the 2nd onkyo? Any other suggestions short of relocating that receiver to a closet?

TIA.

-NelsonC

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to simply mask the IR sensor on the second receiver. That would work fine if you don't need to alter any of the settings for the shakers. Out of curiosity, what kind of subwoofer are you using?

nelsonC

Auditioning
Actually, I've tried masking the sensor from the exterior... I got a bit dismayed as I could cover the entire face the the receiver but somehow the signal still got through. Im not sure exactly where the sensor is and the design of the front doesn't make it obvious. I might take the cover off and look harder.

I just upgraded subs from a small 8" yamaha to a home-built 15" dayton quatro with 240w parts express amp. In theory, I don't need the shakers anymore but they are a nice substitute for bass when I can't crank the sub all the way up the the appropriate volume. Even with the sub running as it should, the shakers, when adjusted properly do add another dimension to the viewing experience. I think i'll keep them :)

-NelsonC

chuckg

Supporting Actor
What did you use for masking off the rcvr?

Some paper will allow plenty of infrared to get through. try using tinfoil!

Or, maybe the IR from the remote is sneaking in through vent holes in the unit. Can you put a thick cardboard box over the whole amp (temporarily!) as a test?

rob-h

Second Unit
Use black electrical tape. Cover the sensor plus leave a lot of overlap. That will definitely do it and is easily removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks