Two receivers and a turntable

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RichardA, Mar 12, 2004.

1. RichardA

RichardA Agent

Hello,

Just bought a Yamaha RX-V540 receiver which does not have a phono input. I guess the turntable send a weak signal to the receiver and phono inputs do some extra (pre) amplification. Now I have a turntable and was wondering if I could input the turntable into my old Denon receiver (which does have phono inputs) and then connect the "multi source out" from the Denon to the D-TV/CBL in on the Yamaha RX? Would the Denon strengthen the signal so the Yamaha could play it? Would this work?
    Will probably just try it and see what happens, but it is going to take a bit of re-arranging things to get two receivers in my cabinet. This is a temporary solution until I get a whole separate system going.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

You could just get a phono preamp. They range in price from $25 to over $20K. Take your pick.[​IMG]

3. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

Don't know what the "multi source out" and "D-TV/CBL in" are but if you insist on making this work you need to

1. Connect the phono to the phono section of the Denon
    2. Connect the Tape Out of the Denon to any Aux In of the Yamaha
    3. Turn on Denon and select Phono
    4. Select the Aux In that you used on the Yamaha

The volume control of the Denon will have no effect

4. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Unless you must spend exactly $0, an inexpensive phono preamp is a more convenient solution than another large clunky receiver... many pho-pre's are tiny and can be buried anywhere.

NeedleDoctor has a wide selection at many price points:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?I283424B7

Some posters have reported that Rat Shack even carries pho-pre's for cheap that aren't crappy.

I've got a Parasound PPH-100... tiny price ($120), tiny footprint, large performance.

5. RichardA

RichardA Agent

Thanks all.

Couldn't wait, so with my Saturday slight hangover I
    connected up the Denon receiver and it all worked perfectly. I just wasn't sure if it would go though the preamp before it came out the multi source output. It did. Even found a place for everything. Later when I get new speakers and my basement finished I will be separating the systems anyway.

Richard