What's new

Two questions about 16 X 9 Enhanced mode (1 Viewer)

DanN

Agent
First of all, does it make a huge difference on a 27" TV?? I can appreciate that on a 36" or even a 32", you could definitely see the difference. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of selling my 24" Tau to a friend and purchasing a 27" Sony

Secondly, does the 16x9 mode do anything for non-anamorphic dvds? since your dvd player is set in widscreen mode, what happens when you put in a non-anamorphic dvd? will the player stretch it? or will the player keep it at the proper mode? and will the TV compress it even more? or have no effect?

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
1) 16:9 w/ enhanced DVDs on my 27" is much, much better compared to non-anamorphic 16:9. My roommate has a 32" Wega that we use, and it's amazing, esp. in 16:9. Honestly, I like the image on my 27" better; maybe it's the room lighting conditions.

2) 16:9 enhanced does nothing for non-anamorphic discs. Even w/ the playeer set to 16:9, you'll still get the correct size.

DanN

Agent
does the 16x9 mode cut down on jagged edges and edge enhancement? right now I run my RV-31 into my Tau with component and while the picture quality is great, I see a lot of edge enhancement and jagged edges on outlines of actors, even though I've turned the contrast and sharpness down.

i was wondering whether this was due more to velocity scanning modulation or the fact that it's a result of the anamorphic downconversion - obviously, if either are true, I suppose going with a Sony would be better since you can shut off the VSM and since the dvd player is running in widescreen mode, there would be shimmering, jagged edges, etc - am I correct?

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
It ABSOLUTELY cuts down on the jaggies, since it provides more lines to reduce them. The squeeze improvement is definately noticable on my 27" Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks