What's new

Two problems I'm having with my PC, could do with some help! (1 Viewer)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Ive been getting many RUNTIME ERRORS from my browser recently which is preventing pages from opening on a lot of sites, from what I can tell it seems to be in relation to JAVA SCRIPT. This all seemed to start when I installed ZONE ALARM PRO. But even when I switch it off completely, these errors are appearing and I still cant get certain pages to load. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PLUS

On an unrelated matter, but still browser themed: when I hook up my laptop to my PC via an Ethernet port, my laptop browser fails to find the net connection through my PC when I open it, despite the connection reading as there and working at the bottom of the screen. I followed the XP guides on setting up a home network, but still I'm having this browser failure. On the laptop Ive gone into the INTERNET OPTIONS then CONNECTIONs and ticked the NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION box, but still no luck.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Your problem with the laptop deals with the type of cable you're using (probably). Make sure you are using a cross-over ethernet cable between two computers. If you are using a crossover cable you may need to set a static IP address on the laptop.

For the first question, my experience with ZoneAlarm Pro is that even when you turn it off it is still doing stuff in the background. If you think it's causing problems uninstall it completely to check. In general I really like ZoneAlarm Pro, but I had an issue with it interfering with one program I had to use for a class and had to unistall it for a semester.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the promt reply! I was originally using regular Zone Alarm and just switch to PRo for the 30 day trial, now its expired and I'm back to the regular, but the problems still there. I never had a problem with the reguar edition. I must've changed some setting on the browser when I was tinkering with PRO.

As far as I know the cable is correct. I use it to connect my X-Box to my PC and it works perfectly. I'll look into the static IP on the laptop. The laptop does recognise that the net connection is there, the icon is at the bottom of the screen and flashes, its just that the browser is blind to it or wont look to the ethernet port to find it.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Try this work-around for runtime errors in Internet Explorer:
Tools-->Internet Options-->Advanced
Under "Browsing," uncheck the box for "Display a notification for every script error"

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Paul, did you ever figure out the problem with your system timing out trying to open certain web sites? I have the same problem. There are a couple of sites I can open with other computers in my house but on my Windows 98 desktop I get the message that system has timed out. It makes me nuts. It happens on only a few sites, but I have no idea why. It's apparently not a browser issue since it happens with both IE and Mozilla.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Sounds like a problem with the Java engine. Both Microsoft and Sun supply a Java Virtual Machine. Details on how to acquire both are here. Sometimes I have good luck with one, sometimes the other works better.

Also, go to Microsoft's Windows Update site and install all of the Critical Updates. I think there's a patch for the MS JVM in there as well.

-Mike...

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've got the java s/w and I'm all up to date with my MS patches. I'm running a 4 year old Win 98 O/S. I suspect it's glitched up somewhere. In general, it works ok. I should really update the O/S to XP. It's not a bad system (unless you ask my kids), it's a PIII 800 MHz, 512meg memory, 32 meg Nvidia graphics.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
this didnt work for me, but the check box directly above this one did. it was called 'disable script debugging' and i checked it and havent had one of those messages since.

CJ

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Well, I installed Windows XP in place of 98 and my timing out problem is solved. I can access the web pages that timed out with 98 and everything works much more smoothly. I still have 98 installed in a partioned hard drive (dual boot mode) until I'm sure that I have everything running ok with XP.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Well, I installed Windows XP in place of 98 and my timing out problem is solved. I can access the web pages that timed out with 98 and everything works much more smoothly. I still have 98 installed in a partioned hard drive (dual boot mode) until I'm sure that I have everything running ok with XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks