Two Player Games (split screen). How does it work?...XBox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Dec 25, 2001.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, just curious how two player games work on the Xbox. Games like Project Gotham or other multi-player games that require a split screen. Do they spilt vertically, horizontally, or what? I have a 16:9 HD ready set and was wondering if they take advantage of that when doing split screen. Do the games have different options?

Just wondering, because I remember playing someones N64 and the splitscreen was unbearable. Could not stand it really. Is the X-Box any better? My wife and I would like to play multiplayer games such as these - even a deathmatch when one comes out.

Thanks for the help

C. Ryan

2. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

2 Player Halo is split horizontally. 4 player is split into 4 even boxes. I can't seem to remember if Project Gotham was horizontal or vertical (I just rented it), but it wasn't a problem at all. I would say everything is pretty similar to the way N64 did it.

3. Michael St. Clair

Many older systems reduce detail and resolution for splitscreen modes. From that perspective many newer-generation games are better in splitscreen modes than many older games.

Some better games give you the choice between horizontal and vertical splitscreen.

Any 16:9 game would hopefully support vertical splitscreen, as it will give the best field of view for two players.

4-player is virtually always going to be quadrants, get used to it.

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Thanks for the responses thus far. I would fully expect four player to be in four quadrants - not really a problem and I won't be doing that very often. Like I said, me and my wife will be playing mostly.

We really like racing games and I do hate the idea of being split horizontally with everything squished like it was on the N64. Ugh. Oh well.

Thanks again thus far. Any other games to note?

Oh and about Halo. What all can you do multiplayer? Is it deathmatch or can you play the game in pairs?

C. Ryan

5. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

Halo can be played both cooperatively with a friend, or as a deathmatch.

6. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Project Gotham has an option to change to either horizontal or vertical split screen in the multiplayer option screen.

Dean

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Just a little friendly advice...if you are playing with your wife, you may want to steer clear of deathmatches. The 30th or 40th time I crept up behind my own little woman and cracked her Chief in the back of the skull with the AR pushed her over the edge, I think, because now she won't even look at the Xbox anymore. [​IMG]
    Apparently she and I got our wires crossed, and what I was viewing as "playing the game with consummate skill", she interpreted as "being a stupid jerk". Funny how that happens sometimes... [​IMG]
    Just a tip, that's all!!