What's new

Two novice-type questions about front door speaker replacement (1 Viewer)

I currently own a 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS, which came with a premium JBL 7-speaker system and 6-CD changer. For more than 5 years I've enjoyed the sound immensely. However it appears the front passenger door speaker is on its way out, as I am experiencing a vibration sound during normal use. I believe the cone has ripped, although not totally blown.

As I look into speaker replacements, I'd like to minimize costs (keeping them below $150) Cardomain.com seems to undercut Crutchfield and three possibilities stand out:

JBL Power P652S @ $150/pr
Polk db675 @ $110/pr
Infinity Kappa 652.5i @ $120/pr

Any recommendations on staying with JBL vs. the other two, given the remaining 5 speakers will be the original factory installed JBLs

Also, are most front door speaker installations typical? Crutchfield's instructions look to be heading toward removal of the front door panels to install the replacement speakers.

Anyone own an Avalon that could shed light on how to remove the panels?

Laish Morse

Auditioning
Hi. you really can't go wrong with the Ininity Kappa speakers. The good thing about dealing with Crutchfield is that they will send you an instruction sheet on how to remove the door panels and what tools you will need. Those Kappa 652.5i will come in a pair and you should just install both of the them in the front doors. I used the cheap OEM speakers from my truck as nut and bolt holders on my work bench. I can toss a screw of nut from accross the bench and if it flies within a few inches of the speaker the magnet pulls it out of the air :)

LM

Dean_S

Second Unit
You will have remove the door panel to replace the speakers but it's not too difficult. Don't worry about sticking with the JBLs since what's in the car is branded JBL but it's just whatever garbage Harmon International contracted with Toyota to build for them (it's not the same thing you can buy under the JBL name in retail store, same thing goes for Levinson in Lexus, Infinity in Dodge, HK in BMW...all just random Harman junk that is branded and not true to the brand). Out of the three speakers you mentioned JBL would be my last choice. You will need to splice wiring for the new speakers since the connectors will be different even if you buy a speaker harness (so you don't have to cut the factory speaker plug off, but not necessary for a proper install).

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
It might be smart to make certain the JBL system uses 4 ohm speakers. Bose and the Chrysler Infinity systems both use oddball-impedance speakers making simple replacement, er, not so simple. ;) I suspect the Crutchfield advisors could help with this question.

If you are willing to spend about half way between 100 and 200 you can get some RE componets, that sound very very good for the money. They are a seperate tweeter and woofer, reaudio.com is the link for them... I do recommend

Users who are viewing this thread