What's new

Two new Universal DVD Changers (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
There are two new Universal DVD changers out now.

Onkyo DV-CP802

and

Integra DPC-8.5

Maybe the Integra has some more features and maybe the Onkyo isn't using the Wolfson Dacs the integra uses. But what is the difference between these two units? Look at the pictures, they look almost the same. Integra's website even talks about NetTune which I thought was Onkyo's.

What's the Onkyo-Integra connection?

Thanks
Wayde

Bob_Hitson

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Hi Wayne,

Integra is a "high-end" division of Onkyo. The Integra equipment has extra features in relation to the Onkyo, like the control port on the DPC-8.5.

I own a DV-CP802 and am extremely pleased with it, so I consider the Integra extra goodness.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
I believe that most, if not all, of Onkyo's products use the Wolfson audio DACs.

The Integra has an RS-232 port and an additional component set with BNCs. The manuals (each are available online) are nearly identical.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It helps to think of Integra as Lexus and Onkyo as Toyota. Each makes (generally speaking) well-designed, reliable products, with the upscale versions getting a few extras, like features, sometimes beefier power supplies, a better warranty, etc. Going with the Integra equivalent receiver, in my case, got me all 192/24 DACs instead of a mix of 192 and 96, slightly better frequency response rating from the amp section, the ability to apply digital BM/TA to the multichannel analogue inputs, RS-232 port for custom installers (I think, perhaps also for firmware upgrades???) and maybe something else I'm forgetting. The BM/TA is something I like having available to me and I like having the same DACs all around, but if my budget had not allowed, I'd have happily settled for the Onkyo upon which my receiver is based. Just like I'd rather have the Lexus ES300 than the Camry, if I can afford it, but the Camry would do me quite well in any case (as a hypothetical car example).

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, I thought this was the case.

I think a digital video output would have been the clincher for me to run out and buy this unit asap. Too bad.

I still like the idea of a carousel. It'd be great to be able to load different kinds of discs (DVD-A, DVD-R full of MP3s, CDs) and have one massive random shuffle.

Wayde

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Wayde: Many carousels won't shuffle different formats together. Might be worth checking out before you buy so you're not disappointed...

John Sun

Agent
According to the literature it will shuffle multiple formats.

I, too, wonder if the Onkyo uses the same Wolfson DACs. Can't find a definitive answer on their website or in the various user reviews done here and on avsforum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks