Two New Releases available @ Wal-Mart in P&S Only!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joshua Clinard, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up a copy of New York Minute. Much to my suprise, there were 0 widescreen copies available of this title. There were about 40 copies of the fullscreen version though. In the past my Wal-Mart has been very good about stocking both versions, at least on release day. They do sometimes run out of the widescreen version after a few days, and they never order more widescreen copies, but they always have widescreen available on release day. So I was very disappointed to see this. So I went to check the other new releases, and sure enough Taking Lives was also ONLY available in full screen! There were probably about 100 copies of the full screen version. Needless to say, I was pissed. I hope this is not a new trend at my local Wal-Mart. I already wrote them a letter a few months ago. I guess it's time to write another one. This has happened a few times on catalog releases in the past, but NEVER on a new release!

Anyone notice a similar trend?

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

As for NEW YORK MINUTE, it is NEW YORK MINUTE. I don't think the Olsen twins fans know the difference between wide and full screen. Those that do know the difference, well, why are you buying an Olsen twins movie?

As for TAKING LIVES, the theatrical cut is fullscreen only I believe. The unrated cut (which Wal Mart probably doesn't carry) is widescreen.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    What's wrong with Olsen Twins fans? I happen to like some of their movies. But every movie should be available in Widescreen, no matter how bad the movie. Not that I'm admitting New York Minute is bad. And there are a lot of movies I hate, such as Farenheight 9/11, but I wouldn't like it if they were only available in Fullscreen.

With that said, we are discussing Wal-Mart stocking trends, not content of an Olsen Twins movie. In regards to Taking Lives, my Wal-Mart has carried unrated versions of many recent films.

4. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I noticed, too. that WalMart was selling a two-pack of HIDALGO and TOMBSTONE that was available in full-screen only. It wasn't that good a deal, $25 for the single disc TOMBSTONE and the FS HIDALGO, but I was a bit puzzled that it was not available in widescreen. The WS version of HIDALGO was aailable at WM as a single disc.

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Really? Since they don't carry "Parental Advisory" CDs this kinda surprises me...

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Yep, they had Badder Santa Unrated, Eurotrip Unrated, My Boss's Daughter Unrated, America Wedding Unrated, American Pie Unrated, Charlie's Angels Unrated, and others.

7. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Well, this thread may have the distinction of being the only place on the net that will find a discussion of The Olsen Twins and Fahrenheit 9/11 in the same breath!

8. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

No. Aint It Cool had some F9/11 comments interspersed with Olsen Twin-lusting a few months ago.

I can't believe I remember that.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Which is why they should not do separate releases- put 'em both on the same disc, enable the pan&scan on the fly, or don't do pan&scan at all.

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Farenheit 9/11 and New York Minute?

11. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

Well it is Wal-Mart we are talking about. They cater to the lowest common denominator as far as stuff like that goes. I understand it sucks, but their main shoppers are usually the very people who understand but hate,don't understand, or just don't care about getting films in a widescreen release.

12. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Maybe it's because widescreen TV's won't fit in their trailers. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Anybody who really thinks they know marketing better than Wal-Mart..... Doesn't mean we have to like what they do though. The WM in this town hardly stocks any FS movies compared to WS. I presume they adjust stock to local requirements and preferences, within their product scope at least. They also always carry unrated/uncensored versions of discs. However, I'm pretty sure they would NEVER carry anything that has an "offensive-looking" cover, whether it be disc or magazine etc. This is kinda funny, as womens' underwear is flapping in the breeze in their aisles, but on a disc etc. cover is a no-no.

It is possible that your WM just didn't get what they ordered on time. I've noticed that WM is not as reliable for new issues on release day as it used to be say a year ago. Or the order for today was placed by somebody who didn't have a clue, filling in for somebody on vacation. Or something like that.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm waiting for them to take out the new release shelves in favor of a big bin where they're all just dumped in randomly and you have to sort through them to find what you want. [​IMG]

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

This is 'GOOD' news.
    P&S, should be associated with cheap & washed up!

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Funny you should mention that...very recently the new release racks at my two nearest 'Marts have been moved to far less prominent positions than formerly. Whereas the bins are more easily accessible. I'm a typical guy shopper: in and out like a commando raid, with minimal casualties. WM is annoying in that they seem to like to move things around, your previous mission reconnoitering is often useless as the objectives have relocated...

17. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

Noticed the similar deal here. The majority of titles stocked are fullscreen. I have never actually bought a DVD from WM (aside from the $5.50 bin), so it hasn't really affected me. It does piss me off that people still happily buy these hacked up versions of movies (guess VHS has cast a long shadow).

18. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

Where I live the only store very close is Wal*Mart, the next store that carries dvds is an hour away. They've had Badder Santa and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle in both unrated verions but when I went by there today to waste abit of time before work, they didn't have the unrated Taking Lives, as far as New York Minute, which I'll be picking up later this week, they had one section of widescreen edition and three sections of full screen.

19. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Same here - the new releases are elsewhere, but the kid's fare is right in the middle between the two checkout counters as you walk in.

I use Wal-Mart for impulse only - I prefer real A/V stores for my real purchases.

20. Daniel`D

Daniel`D Stunt Coordinator

Oh even though my Wal-Mart had New York Minute in widescreen, Connie And Carla was only out with Fullscreen copies.