What's new

Two Must Have SACDs... (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got two very well-done and interesting albums at HE2004 and was finally able to listen last night...

Rory Block "Last Fair Deal"

This Telarc blues album is very different. The sound in very raw but pristine. Rory is a bit of a big name among blues fans in the know. On this album she does everything from classic blues to gospel backed swinging numbers. I really liked this disc and the sonics are incredible but the presentation is very different than you are used to. I think it has to do with both DSD recording and the desire to capture the raw energy of her performance. The clarity of her guitar is terrific but at times the vocals seem a shade recessed in the mix.

If you like blues, I highly recommend this.

Jacintha "The Girl From Bossa Nova"

Holy cow! Another winner from the team at GrooveNote. The sonics are reference level. The performance sublime.

Here Jacintha uses her considerable vocal talents to do some covers from the Jobim catalog and others. It swings more than her prior albums and the backing band is terrific. Like Rory's album, my body just got to moving and I forgot about stereo equipment and got lost in the music. At the end of listening, I noticed it was past midnight! On a "school night" no less. Yikes!

I also got the Stan Getz Spring is Here and it sounds great too.

I will be listening to the Jaarvi Stravinsky L'Historie Du Soldat soon but a few cuts sounded promising.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got an early copy at the HE2004 show from Elusive Disc. I think they have some connection to Groove Note as they had assembled the jewel cases from a just pressed run of the SACDs. They sold them at the show without wrapping. :)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Lee, let us know your opinion of the Jarvi Stravinsky. I'm loving his Ravel & Prokofiev SACDs, and have the Stravinsky on my list.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks