Two more winners from Sony's *The Essential* two-disc series: Santana and SRV!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 24, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Over the weekend, I bought two newer titles from Sony's The Essential series: The Essential Santana and The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble. Both two-disc compilations are outstanding in terms of sound quality and song selection. Costco has a bunch of these Essential sets for $16.99 each, so if you have a Costco in your area, check it out. I saw the two-disc compilations of Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Johnny Cash, Barbara Streisand, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Journey, Leonard Cohen, and Earth, Wind & Fire there. I don't have all of these, but in addition to Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughan, I also have the Miles, Dylan, and Earth, Wind & Fire releases. They are great too. They are easily worth the $16.99. Anyone else picking up these sets? Thoughts?

By the way, The Essential Kenny Loggins came out last week, and The Essential Heart will be out this Tuesday (11/26), for those interested.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Oh, I also have The Essential Billy Joel, and it's a winner too. I didn't see that one at Costco this weekend.
    Other artists I would like to see Sony release as part of the Essential series are Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, and Dave Brubeck. At this point, I doubt we will see a Michael Jackson set the way things are going between Michael and Sony. A Springsteen set would mean that Sony would have to remaster much of the Springsteen catalog, which it seems Sony does not want to do. [​IMG]

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I picked up the Essential Miles Davis at Costco. I really wasn't expecting much, but the 2 disc set is amazingly great. For once, somebody did things right.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dana, I have been really impressed with all of Sony Music's remasters, be they from the Essential series or original albums. Basically, if I see a yellow sticker on the front of the jewel case, I am confident that I am getting an excellent-sounding disc.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Another thing. For those who like Miles Davis, like I do ([​IMG]), the Santana set has a nice rendition of "In A Silent Way".

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Keith,
    Did you get the Miles Davis collection. If you love Miles, it's very impressive.
    I second Springsteen and Brubeck. [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dana, the The Essential Miles Davis was the second one from the series that I bought. The Essential Bob Dylan was the first. The Dylan set was the first one from the series that I saw in the stores. In fact, at the time, I didn't know that there was or would be a series. That was a pleasant surprise. [​IMG]