What's new

Two more winners from Sony's *The Essential* two-disc series: Santana and SRV! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Over the weekend, I bought two newer titles from Sony's The Essential series: The Essential Santana and The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble. Both two-disc compilations are outstanding in terms of sound quality and song selection. Costco has a bunch of these Essential sets for $16.99 each, so if you have a Costco in your area, check it out. I saw the two-disc compilations of Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Johnny Cash, Barbara Streisand, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Journey, Leonard Cohen, and Earth, Wind & Fire there. I don't have all of these, but in addition to Santana and Stevie Ray Vaughan, I also have the Miles, Dylan, and Earth, Wind & Fire releases. They are great too. They are easily worth the $16.99. Anyone else picking up these sets? Thoughts?

By the way, The Essential Kenny Loggins came out last week, and The Essential Heart will be out this Tuesday (11/26), for those interested.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I also have The Essential Billy Joel, and it's a winner too. I didn't see that one at Costco this weekend.
Other artists I would like to see Sony release as part of the Essential series are Janis Joplin, Bruce Springsteen, Michael Jackson, and Dave Brubeck. At this point, I doubt we will see a Michael Jackson set the way things are going between Michael and Sony. A Springsteen set would mean that Sony would have to remaster much of the Springsteen catalog, which it seems Sony does not want to do. :frowning:

DanaA

Screenwriter
I picked up the Essential Miles Davis at Costco. I really wasn't expecting much, but the 2 disc set is amazingly great. For once, somebody did things right.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dana, I have been really impressed with all of Sony Music's remasters, be they from the Essential series or original albums. Basically, if I see a yellow sticker on the front of the jewel case, I am confident that I am getting an excellent-sounding disc.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Another thing. For those who like Miles Davis, like I do (:D), the Santana set has a nice rendition of "In A Silent Way".

DanaA

Screenwriter
Keith,
Did you get the Miles Davis collection. If you love Miles, it's very impressive.
I second Springsteen and Brubeck. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dana, the The Essential Miles Davis was the second one from the series that I bought. The Essential Bob Dylan was the first. The Dylan set was the first one from the series that I saw in the stores. In fact, at the time, I didn't know that there was or would be a series. That was a pleasant surprise. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks