two more days until my SVS gets here - Sugestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I can not hardly make it. My SVS 20-39 will be here on Monday. It is already in my state. All I have experienced before was a velodyne ct 10. I am so excited. Any suggestions on set up before it gets here? Also I need to rent some good movies for it.

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I too am waiting for my dual 25-31cs setup. I was going to go to Best Buy after Christmas and pick up the Avia setup disc. I want to make sure that I get the absolute most out of these subs.

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

If it's not already in your collection, get Titan AE. The Ice Field chapter will challeng your sensibilities regarding what is safe for your house after the SVS subs are installed and calibrated.

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

5. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I thought the movie was pretty cool for a cartoon. It is definitely worth renting.

6. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, I got my 20-39cs last week, and my advice would be to start taping s**t down that might rattle or fall off of shelves. I've played quite a few movies through my system since installing and calibating (a MUST) the sub, and I am entirely pleased. It is easily the best sub I've ever heard (I've heard the Paradigm PW-2200 and Servo 15, Mirage BPS-400, Def Tech PF15TL/+, Velodyne HGS-15, Sunfire True Series, etc. A bad demo is worse than no demo at all). I have found that Jurassic Park I/III, The Phantom Meanace (Pod Race brought tears to my eyes), Titan A.E., and Fight Club gave the sub the best workout. I really can't see upgrading unless I move since I'm getting all the clean output I can use right now (unless my ego gets the best of me).

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

8. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

After reminding myself of Titan AE, I had it playing upstairs while I went down to the kitchen one flight down and across the length of the house. I found glasses and ceramics rattling and clinking in the kitchen! I hadn't gone that far in the house while securing things against rattling. Glad my wife wasn't around.

9. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Yeah, you've got to watch out for that sub anywhere in the house... [​IMG]
    The master bedroom in my house is a good ways away from the sub (diagonal across the house) and even there you get a tremendous amount of bass coming through. Makes the mirror in the bathroom rattle, as well as the drawers!
    I'd also recommend the helicopter scene in Matrix, quite a few passages in Starship Troopers, and the beginning (heck the entire) Toy Story II... some great sub workouts there!
    Mike

10. AaronT

AaronT Extra

[​IMG]

11. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Make sure your foundation is secure. And don't feed your pets the day it arrives; SVS may cause pet vomiting.

12. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

Have a Radio Shack SPL meter ready for the day it arrives and VE or Avia handy.

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Have these lined up to test your new sub...

- Toy Story 2 (opening chapter)

- Titan AE

- Jurassic park 3

- Pearl Harbour

- The Iron Giant

- Independence Day

- Gladiator

- Vertical Limit

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Add The Matrix to that list.

15. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Matts comments about 'pet vomiting' made me think a little.

Im new to the HT world and just bought my first sub, the sony wm40-whatever.

I was thinking, if I get this much bass from a $129 dollar sub, then what kind of bass are these high-dollar subs putting out, I think any more bass would make ME feel sick, not to mention what its going to do to poor kitty.

16. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Hey guys, all this talk about having to nail stuff down has me worried about getting a 20-39 or even a 25-31 here in my downstairs apartment. Heck, I get the neighbors stompin on the floor every now and then with my Sony SAWM40 (temp sub)! I feel like I won't be able to see (hear) what it can really do until I get a house...[​IMG] I am worried that I'll know something down off their walls or tables ect...hmmm...nah, they'll just have to come on down and join me! [​IMG]