Two inventions I'd love to see...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Feb 4, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

A few years ago, I came across a segment in a show that had Nasa engineers finding brilliant solutions toeveryday problems. Their task that day was to improve the hand dryer found in restrooms..

What I'd love to have, is something that makes the hot water in the shower last for at least a full hour(For those of us that like to take long 15 minute showers [​IMG]), and a Lithium Ion Battery for Desktops to use in case of power outages. A 3/6/12 hour version.

Or do any of these things already exist? [​IMG]

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

This problem is solved with a tankless water heater. They are popular in many European & Asian nations. I had one installed last year & love it, but most of them are expensive.

Tankless Water Heater thread

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm waiting for Hoverboards and Lightsabers to get here. [​IMG]

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I'd buy two!

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Well, you can get a UPS backup power system. Major businesses and so forth usually have them. They're kind of bulky and heavy, though, if you want 3/6/12 hours — and ou'd want to be running an LCD monitor, since CRTs take a lot of juice.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Move into an apartment or condo with a boiler system for the whole building, and you've got your wish. Hundreds of gallons of scalding hot water just waiting for you.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Cherry 2000! We're already 6 years past the due date!

8. Jay Taylor

As Christopher suggested using, we have several UPS power supplies at home & at work for our computers. We also have some communications equipment hooked up to a power inverter that is capable of long-term power backup. Unlike most UPS units, you connect as many 12V deep-cycle marine batteries as you desire for long-term power outages.

There are newer versions available, but here’s the one we bought about 5 years ago:

Tripp-Lite Model UPS-750, with an external BP-260 battery cabinet for two marine batteries.

The UPS-750 only weighs about 19 pounds, but the two marine batteries in the metal cabinet weigh about 140 pounds!

The UPS-750 keeps the batteries fully charged as long as you have power, and lead-acid batteries don’t develop a memory (Lithium Ion batteries also don’t develop a memory as readily as Ni-Cds). It’s also easy to find a store that sells marine deep-cycle batteries, whereas Lithium Ion batteries designed for a specific unit may be difficult to replace.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Add a generator to that UPS, and you can keep the computer up as long as you have fuel. For homes, you can get a backup power system that runs on natural gas (personally, I have an older gasoline-powered generator for home). I work in IT healthcare, and we have a diesel generator for our data center that could power several city blocks. [​IMG]

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Actually, after I posted this note, I came across this item..

Anyone have one of these? If it really does last 2.20 hours or so for power reserve, and doubles as a good surge protector, it would be perfect..

The conexant300 I have now only has about 2 minutes of battery power [​IMG]

11. Jay Taylor

That's true. Generators are popular here in Oklahoma because tornadoes love us so much. Although I'll probably use it to keep the refridgerator going more than the computer. That and powering a TV so we can watch our destroyed neighborhood on the never ending Fox News Alerts! [​IMG]

12. Jay Taylor

Here's one review: Cyberpower CPS1500AVR

There are better UPS units out there but most wont meet the 3/6/12 Hour backup that you mentioned in your first post. A three hour backup model wouldn't be too big or expensive but a 12 hour backup model would be.

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    What about the flying cars? Where are my flying cars?!

14. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I'd like a carousel DVD/CD player that displays what discs are in the player at a given time, and a button on the DVR that you can press when a commercial for a show or movie comes on so it will automatically be recorded.

Also, the teflon coated lawnmower undercarriage...

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Tivo does that, but only for certain shows which I'm guessing pay Tivo money to have their ads flagged.

I want those digital/foldable/squishable displays that you can shove in your pocket or stretch out to show you where exactly you are on Mars, ala Red Planet.

16. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree with the hoover thing. Why aren't we hoovering around? Is it that freakin' complicated? Do you know how much money that would save the planet? No road repair? Make them electric, etc...

I have mentioned this before, but I would like to see multi-colored dash lights for your car. You know like on some car stereos', you can change your display colors...
    Also, hard wood flooring in cars.

And an orange juice that doesn't taste bad after you brush your teeth.

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

hmm... speaking of inventions, where do you go to get one produced if you decide to patent the idea? I just thought up two interesting Ideas for the buisness world....but I have no idea where to go for it.

Maby I need that knew Simon Cowel show, American Inventor [​IMG]

18. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer