Two identical subs or tune them differently?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron D Core, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Ron D Core

Ron D Core Stunt Coordinator

I have two PE 250W plates amps, and will be buying either two BPD 1201's or 1001's. I want to make sonosubs with them. Im at a loss with my design though. I want a really low extension but I also want a good transient response. I was thinking about doing one EBS with a 1201 and a sealed one for the 1001 maybe. This will also determine the design for the mains. I will be running a couple 8" midbass/mids in a two way MTM. I haven't decided whether to do a ported EBS or sealed for those as well. These will be in an apartment room until I graduate, so size sort of a concern but its way down on the list. Any suggestions?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ron,

I have not looked at either of these drivers from a ported standpoint, but did run some sims for the 1001 sealed. IMHO, if you want a small, sealed sub with good transient response (low Q design) the SV10 is the best 10" driver I know of. Of course, after June 30th they'll no longer be available.

I directly compared the SV10, Blueprint 1001, and Dayton Titanic 10 MKII. While the Blueprint and Dayton are more efficient and have more output from 50Hz up (2-3dB more), the SV10 had a lower F3 and 2-3dB more output at 20Hz than the other two.

When I think of a small, sealed, low Q sub with fairly flat response, the SV10 is the only driver that comes to mind.

Brian