What's new

TWO Greta Garbo Collections from Warners in September! (1 Viewer)

DavidBC

Second Unit
Really excited about this set!

And Ninotchka's "Don't pronounce it - - See it!" tagline is my favorite since The Damned Don't Cry's "Call me cheap?" I just love the classic cover art on these releases!;)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So the Garbo silents are included in the Signature box? I like that idea! Count me in for both, and all I've see are "Grand Hotel" & "Ninotchka", but both were absolute masterpieces (I've watched "Grand Hotel" twice in the past year):D I guess it's time to sell it now.

Retracted! I will no longer be purchasing this set. Until WB gets it's collective head of it's ass about their classic animation, I will not be supporting their other efforts either.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Great that WB included Anna Christie in the box set. I will happily buy it. And of course US$ 70,00 is not expensive if you think about the hole package you're getting. In fact it's a bargain.
Davis, Crawford, Noir vol. 2, Thin Man, Astaire and Rogers, Garbo, I could not be happier!!!
Expecting Berkley, Tracy, Gable in near future, and other suprises that WB must be reserving for us.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Mario - these sets are amazing and what incredible bonuses

- the Rudolph Valentino/Alli Nazimova version of Camille
- the German language Anna Christie
- the Brownlow documentary
- and an alternate ending to The Temptress !

I guess Mata Hari is the edited version around since 1939, otherwise the press release probably would have mentioned if the deleted original pre-code scenes were restored. It is still a great movie!

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to take issue with such a classy and respectful retrospective like this. Nevertheless, I wish commentaries could have been commissioned for some, if not all, of the included talkies. The new feature-length documentary goes a long way to alleviate this shortcoming, but those who are only picking up individual titles may feel a bit shortchanged. It would be nice if the documentary could be available separately...

Kudos to Warner Classics for continuing to treat their legends, and their customers, with such respect.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Quote (originally posted by Jim_K):

"Fair enough, consider my peer pressure statement retracted, though I only meant it in jest."

No offence taken, Jim.

"I'm approaching 700 myself with only 2-3 titles unwatched mostly because I'd seen them recently before hitting DVD.

I was mostly poking fun at your unwatched pile. This is not a criticism of you, just pointing out a major difference between our collecting habits."

I can assure you that there used to be a time when I would watch a DVD as soon as I received it...but that was before I had an internet connection of my own, which is when all my DVD collecting woes started:)!

"Though I do understand and sympathize with your inaccessibility issue i.e. no rental avenues or premium classic film channels."

I'm glad you can see my point.

Quote (originally posted by Richard M S):

"Mario - these sets are amazing and what incredible bonuses

- the Rudolph Valentino/Alli Nazimova version of Camille
- the German language Anna Christie
- the Brownlow documentary
- and an alternate ending to The Temptress !

I guess Mata Hari is the edited version around since 1939, otherwise the press release probably would have mentioned if the deleted original pre-code scenes were restored. It is still a great movie!"

I didn't know about any missing footage in MATA HARI (1931) but, unfortunately, it seems to go with the territory for films of this vintage: A` NOUS LA LIBERTE` (1931), DRACULA (1931), LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932), THE MUMMY (1932), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935), A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935), etc.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
If you bargain shop around you will generally find the boxset is cheaper than half the films in it solo. One can sell the rest for profit, give away as gifts or see something they may like a great bunch but might not necessarily have seen otherwise.

Todd_W_Zimmrman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd W. Zimmerman
Deal me in! It's been years (if not decades) since I've seen some of those movies.

I was about to ask the same question.:emoji_thumbsup:

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
As for me, I'd love to see possibly a Jeanette MacDonald-Nelson Eddy set, along with sets for the Broadway Melody series, and for the popular MGM series like Andy Hardy, Maisie, and Dr. Kildare. From the Warner Bros. archives: the Torchy Blane series and the films that used the Jack Carson - Dennis Morgan team. And don't forget RKO's Mexican Spitfire starring the Jennifer Lopez of the 40s, Lupe Velez!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Mr. Ellis,

You and I think alike. Warners has access to a large number of "B" series type films that I would love to see come out in box sets. I am somewhat optimistic that some of them will eventually come out given that they've indicated the RKO Tarzans are on their radar and the upcoming release of the Bowery Boys. Fortunately the series films run quite often on TCM.

Until they do, WB has more than enough "A" level signature collections to keep me busy. I'm already anxious for next year's Harlow and Pre-Code sets.

Steve

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

You do what you feel is necessary, but it seems odd to make such a protest since the people who put together this Garbo set had absolutely nothing to do with the Tom & Jerry collection.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Any reviews or advance looks at this set yet? It's one of my most anxiously awaited classic releases (in a year positively stuffed with them!)

Jo_C

Second Unit
Sadly, one title isn't included in either of these collections..."Love", the 1927 version of "Anna Karenna". Yes, it is underappreciated, but it is one of the most defining moments in Garbo's silent career. This is one you most certainly want to record on DVD-R. The version that's currently seen is "recorded live" with live orchestral score and a live audience (No kidding). It is the "you are there" experience that must be seen.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this has not been released on video, and why it is not regularly seen in rotation on TCM?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
"LOVE" has had a video release.

It was part of THE GARBO SILENTS laserdisc set that MGM/UA released at the end of the LD era.

I still have the LD, and the transfer seems hardly worthy of DVD.

I would guess that the wise folk at Warner are wanting to give the film a proper new transfer and a proper new soundtrack. A live recording with audience reaction might be interesting as a curio for an alternate DVD track (great idea, actually), but considering the peerless way Warner treats classic films, it is my guess they would want a properly recorded score (and a much better, new transfer) for that fine film's release...with both endings (happy and sad) as on the LD

Also, if next month's Garbo set sells well, we can hope that means not only LOVE will come to DVD, but many of other Garbo's other (less famous, but most worthy) films will come our way as well, especially THE PAINTED VEIL and AS YOU DESIRE ME, which I personally like a great deal.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
I saw LOVE a couple of years ago on TCM. In fact, it's being shown on TCM on Wednesday 09/07/2005 06:30 AM. Garbo is a star of the month for September.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
It would be great if Warners could do another Garbo box set, or even two...one silent and one sound. LOVE is certainly a worthy title; so are THE KISS, WILD ORCHIDS, SINGLE STANDARD, and of course other sound films too such as AS YOU DESIRE ME.

Jo_C

Second Unit
OK, folks,

Just so you'll know...the neglected, underappreciated LOVE is on this morning (early morning Wednesday, late Tuesday night, at 6:30 AM Eastern/3:30 AM Pacific) on TCM. Obviously, a majority of you will be asleep, so make sure you have your VCRs and DVD recorders programmed and fired up for a possible addition to your Garbo DVD collection.

Any of you think of doing your own DVD covers for "Love"? I'm open to suggestion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks