What's new

TWO Greta Garbo Collections from Warners in September! (1 Viewer)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Great news from "The Criterion Forum":

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...pic.php?t=2244

So, the first indications seem to be that Warners will be releasing not one but TWO Greta Garbo Collections on DVD come September in time for her 100th Anniversary. Yippee!!

Apparently, a TCM Archive 2-Disc Set will include the following (all accompanied by an Audio Commentary by Mark Vieira):

1.THE TEMPTRESS (1926)
2.FLESH AND THE DEVIL (1926) - the only one I've watched from this bunch and an excellent film it is, too...with an unforgettable ending to boot!
3.THE MYSTERIOUS LADY (1928)

Then, for their "Greta Garbo Signature Collection", Warners have these in store for us:

1.ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) - hopefully, they'll also include the alternate German-language version shot simultaneously by Jacques Feyder
2.MATA HARI (1931) - the only one I've yet to watch from this group, and most welcome it is, too!
3.QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933) - directed by a virtuoso like Rouben Mamoulian at the peak of his powers, it's small wonder that this is Garbo's best film
4.ANNA KARENINA (1935) - hopefully, they'll sneak in the earlier Silent version of Tolstoy's opus, LOVE (1927) co-starring John Gilbert, as well
5.CAMILLE (1936)
6.NINOTCHKA (1939) - more Lubitsch is always welcome...and Bela Lugosi, too:)!

I wish they had also included CONQUEST (1937), another major Garbo sound film which has eluded me so far, but I'm awfully pleased with Warners as it is:)!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i won't be getting either box set, but Queen Christina is one of my favorite films of all time.
its another title i always regreted not picking up on LD, and can not wait to get it now on DVD.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Garbo fans will have to be thrilled with this news. No double dip with Grand Hotel, six talkies that may be her most popular, plus a silent box! Good Job Warner!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm getting all of these and I suggest that those limiting themselves to just one title, take a look at the other titles if you haven't already.

Crawdaddy

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

I'm with Crawdaddy on this. I'm getting all collections and everything else that comes. I love Garbo...and need to learn more about Garbo....and buying it all only helps quench the thirst and satisfy my buds.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Any chance that the three I haven't seen (Queen Christina, Anna Christie, Mata Hari) are more like the film I love (Ninotchka), than the ones I don't care for (Camille, Anna Karenina)?

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
GREAT NEWS!!!! I'll be only getting Ninotchka which had been on my wish list as long as Top Hat and Swing Time!!!

DaveK

Second Unit
Was Two-Faced Woman really considered a bad movie???

I remember seeing it a long time ago and I thought it was okay.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

no.
the three you haven't seen are primarily (melo)dramas.
Ninotchka is a sophisticated comedy.
Queen Christina generally gets lumped in with the rest of her 'tragic romances' (and thats not really wrong) but it actually has a lot more to offer.
its a very stimulating portrait of a Queen, who ascends to the throne as a child, who is lusty in her passion for enlightenment, and who is eventually conflicted between duty and desire.
i don't find it a dry, turgid, or creaky movie by any means- it's warm, romantic, and highly entertaining.
ymmv, of course.

i'll leave it for someone else to petition the merits of the others.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
As a teenage film fan I tended to avoid historical films and "women's pictures" so missed seeing many of these. However, as you get older your tastes broaden, and I've become very interested in Garbo's work, so, as with the Erroll Flynn box, these will be enthusiastic blind buys for me.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Congratulations to Warner and George Feltenstein on the Garbo Collection. They promised us all of your favorite Garbo films and we got it....Conquest and A Woman's Face would have been good too. Maybe a second box set will come later that will include the remaining Garbo's.
Astaire and Rogers/Thin Man now Garbo, what else can Warner do to top itself ? Maybe a Busby Berkeley musical set in October ??????

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ninotchka and Queen Christina are the must-buys for me. I also hope that Love is released- MGM was clever to film two different endings: a happy one for America, and a sad one for Europe that followed the book. Having seen both, I prefer the domestic version, which actually improves Tolstoy's story. If you see the film on TCM, it's actually the US film with a live audio recording of a showing in London with full orchestra and audience reaction. When Anna and Vronsky reunite in the finale, the audience erupted in wild cheers and applause- when was the last time you saw a reaction like that in a movie theater?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Too bad no Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise with a very young
Clark Gable. Not a great film but interesting for the stars involved. I wonder if there will be a Garbo documentary included with one of the films or as an extra disc on the talkies box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks