Two E30's For center channel?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Don Scott, May 28, 2005.

1. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about using two JBL E30's wired in series for the center channel. The brand isn't important, I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and what they thought of it. Since these speakers are 8ohms connecting them in series should give a 16ohm load, right? Will this be easier for the receiver to handle than an 8ohm load?
    I was considering an EC35 center but I can get a pair of E30's for cheaper. I have no experience with type of setup so I would appreciate any feedback on the pros and cons for using 2 bookshelves for a center.
    Thanks.

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Nah, I would not do it, it just wouldn't sound as good as a EC35 (which is getting RAVE reviews on this forum)

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Why 2 E30's? Why not just one?

4. Don Scott

"Why 2 E30's? Why not just one?"

I wouldn't have any use for the second speaker and I figured that by using two I would get the benefit of the two 6" woofers and the two tweeters.

Kenneth, would there be a decrease in sound quality by using the E30's in series. Like I said the only reason I am considering this is because the cost of the EC35 in Canada sucks, it's like 2.5 times the cost in the US.

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

You'll also be drawing twice the current on that channel unless you use an external stereo amp.

7. Don Scott

"You'll also be drawing twice the current on that channel unless you use an external stereo amp."

Well I guess that idea is shot down in flames. Thanks to John. lol [​IMG]

"Even if you got slammed with duty, this price is unreal...or ROADTRIP!!!"

I did some calculations and I would end up paying close to the price that bestbuy in Canada is asking $369.99. That $179.98 in CAD$ + tax plus shipping plus duty would range in the mid $300's.
    I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the extra dough.

Thanks guys!

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Don: like you said, wiring these speakers in series will result in a 16 ohm load, which is easier for the receiver to handle BUT will also cut in half the power from the center channel's amp.

Also, wiring speakers in series can cause undesirable changes in their crossover's operating characteristics, which is why better receivers operate their A & B speakers in parallel when both are activated.

And (sorry! [​IMG] ) unless these two speakers are placed juuuuust the right way the output from their drivers can interfere with each other (this is sometimes called "combing") resulting in uneven horizontal sound dispersion, especially with the higher frequencies. That's why many better centers now include a separate midrange driver mounted in a vertical plane with the tweeter. Becasue it is the side-by-side mounting of drivers that can cause problems for people seated anywhere but the exact front axis of such a speaker.

So if you can't swing the EC35, IMO just use one of the E30s, and in its normal vertical position if possible.

9. Don Scott

LanceJ, thanks for the info. I didn't know any of this stuff. I'll just have to save a little longer and get the EC35.