Two different sound levels from tv and dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Levasseur, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Alan Levasseur

Alan Levasseur Auditioning

When playing a dvd I have the receiver set at -13 and its plenty loud and sounds great especially with the SVS 20-39pci woofer. But when I change input on the receiver to just listen to the tv through the receiver the volume is very low. I have to turn the volume on the receiver at 00 or +3 to receive the same sound level as the dvd did. Is this normal?

2. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

That is normal, especially between digital and analogue sources. A lot of receivers have a feature to help correct the difference that allows you to adjust the output of individual sources. For example, in your case you would want to bump whatever input your TV is connected to up several dB.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do you have the TV set to fixed or variable audio out? Fixed will allow you to control the volume with the receiver alone, while variable allows you to also adjust the volume with the TV. IMO, this is not the way to do it. Set it to fixed, and see if the level is sufficient, otherwise you will have to adjust it to taste each time, first with the TV, then the receiver.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Alan,

This actually sounds like the opposite of what is typical- most people find the DVD source to be really low compared to the TV source.

How is the "TV" connected to the receiver? Are you feeding the signal off of the VCR tuner, a cable box, a sat box-- or do you use the internal TV tuner and route the audio from the set to the receiver?

As mantioned above, it's possible if you routed from the outputs on your TV set directly to the receiver that the outputs you're using are variable. This means that the level being sent from those outputs is controled by the internal TV volume- so if you have the volume on the TV down low, the amount of signal provided to those outputs will be very low.

-vince

6. Alan Levasseur

Alan Levasseur Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I have the cable going directly to the tv and the output for the audio is variable from the back of the tv to the input of the Denon receiver. If it's normal then no problem, I thought maybe I had something hooked up wrong or something. [​IMG]

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

well then, that was a perfectly good question to wonder about...[​IMG]

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Nope- nothing is hooked up wrong, although I would suggest switching the TV to FIXED or at the very least boosting the level of the TV volume so the output is higher. This will yield a better s/n ratio for the final output- resulting in better sound when watching TV. A good rule of thumb would be to A/B the TV volume with Volume from a CD or a VHS tape... and adjust the output on the TV so that it is slightly lower in volume than a CD...

-Vince

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i agree with john (as usual) [​IMG]
    set the tv to fixed, then use the receiver to control the volume. if you have the tv as variable, it's just another volume control you have to "add" to the mix...
    ted