What's new

Two Component Video cable Questions (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
1) Since I'm about to spend a few thousand dollars on a RPTV it doesn't make sense to NOT buy the best component video cable available--if there is such a thing. I've searched the threads and discovered many
good options.

I'm still left with the overriding question: is there
such a thing as a high end component cable--price ISN'T a
factor--only what will give someone the top of the line
picture quality--or is it all subjective? I don't care if that cable costs $25 or $200.

I'll be using my RPTV for dvds (XP30 player)
and Comcast digital cable/Comcast HDTV.

2) Those with Comcast digital cable/HDTV: Does one connect
from the set-top box directly to TV or to the receiver (I will be going from dvd player directly to TV with a component cable)? Will it take a component cable or a HDTV cable?

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Dale,
PM me and I will get you in touch with someone who can make you some outstanding custom cables for a reasonable price.
JP

Mike Matheson

Second Unit

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I should add that I'll need about a 12-15 foot cable to go from dvd player to RPTV set.

As for my question #2....???

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dale: If I were you and wanted THE BEST possible cable without being ripped off, I'd order cable sets from www.bettercables.com . They used to sell the great Canare/Belden cables the other guys sell, but they discovered a silver-coated coax that gives even better performance. People with 100" projector systems (very sensitive) swear by them. The cables start at about $90 so it's not outragious.

Note: Bettercables is both a sponser and a member of HTF so they do a great job of keeping fellow HTF members happy.

Does one connect
from the set-top box directly to TV or to the receiver
Both are acceptable. But ... is your receiver capable of HD video switching? Just because it has COMPONENT connections does not mean it was designed to handle HD video:

Component Video: 4 Mhz max
Progressive Video: 13 Mhz max
1080 i/p Video: 35 Mhz max

See if your receiver is listed in the Receiver Comparison Chart. It should tell you if it is HD capable.

Going Direct to TV: This is the simplest/best way to go because it has less cables, less breaks. But it's MORE complex to operate. When you switch between DVD/Cable, you have to:

- Switch the TV input for the video
- Switch the receiver input for the audio

A few days of this and you will be shopping for a programmable remote. It's also less spouse/family friendly.

Going through the receiver: This takes 2 shorter cables and 1 long one, but it's easier to operate.

Not Enough Inputs: This is becoming a more and more common problem. Most HDTV's only have 2 component inputs. Most AV receivers only have 2 component inputs. It's not hard to quickly fill them up with:

- PS Dvd player
- HD cable box
- HD Sat receiver/PVR
- PS Game system (XBox)
- HD/Digital VCR

This thread on Inexpensive HD Video switching shows you several external, HD capable switch box's. You wont need it now, but just keep it in mind for the future.

Hope this helps.

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply; I'm proably going to get a Pioneer Elite if I can get the right price---530HD.

is your receiver capable of HD video switching? Just because it has COMPONENT connections does not mean it was designed to handle HD video
No, my Yamaha receiver isn't capable; I guess that answers that question. I'd rather go direct to tv anyway--even if it means working the fingers.

I guess I was confused what cables are actually needed to get HD from Comcast and their set-top box? Will the box use regular component cable or is it a special HD cable;
I'm sure Comcast will have the cables, but will their cables be top-notch?

--Dale, trying to determine how many and just what kind of cables I'll need (other than the toslink).

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
The cables the tech brought me weren't bad, but they certainly weren't top-notch. Actually, I've seen them on-line somewhere, but can't for the life of me remember where (I've been at a lot of sites in the past 24 hours...). I do remember that they weren't terribly expensive.

Anyway, they're 12 ft long, gold plated connectors, white cable, the video connectors are white and the audio charcoal gray, and the reds are that weird red that looks kind of orange. The actual cable feels very much like decent quality RG59 (x5). I'm going to try them and replace them if I feel the need (I got the box before I got the TV)...

Of course, Comcast may use different cable suppliers in different areas. YMMV,

Me

TimForman

Supporting Actor
If you want to get into the technical stuff the Imaging Science Foundation has specified the Belden 8281B as their reference cable for HDTV. It has a solid bare copper conductor, semi-foam PE dielectric and tinned copper braid. The IFS states that for HDTV the cable must be within 1.5 ohms of the 75 ohm spec. If you're using the 8281B you're going to be happy. If you're using another cable go to the companies website and get the specs. If they are within these numbers you'll be ok. I have found other manufacturers whose specs meet and/or exceed the IFS reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks