two cheaper subs or one better one?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jeremy Swenson, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

i have two ten inch polk subs, the cheaper ones, they were on sale at circuit city for something like 100 bucks, i think they sound pretty good for movie watching but i keep thinking that i also thought my bose sounded great until i bought my klipsch speakers,

so is two cheaper subs ok or would one better sub like a velodyne sound better, my room is maybe 17x13, just guessing i could measure tonight

i plan on getting a new OTA hd tuner soon and as long as i upgrade that i was thinking of something else to upgrade, just wondering how much a difference it makes, its hard to tell at the store

2. John S

John S Producer

The clear answer is maybe, maybe not.. [​IMG]

I went for the one better sub, but that was because I had toasted 3 JBL subs in a row, so figured I better bite the bullet.

I'm still pretty high on the Velodyne CHT-15 sub, you can run them way hot forever and no problemo. But on the good deal, it seems they are still $500 or there abouts.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"so is two cheaper subs ok or would one better sub like a velodyne sound better"

Um, what do you think Jeremy?

If cheap stuff sounded just as good, wouldn't everyone just buy cheap stuff?

I think you know which will sound better.

But try. If you can't hear a diff. between, say, a couple of $200 subs and a $2000 Velodyne, just stick with the cheap ones.

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I would rather have one good sub that two cheaper ones, for example my old sub (Sony SA-WM40) cost $200 at the time, my new sub (HSU STF-2) cost $400, I would much rather have my STF-2 than two Sony’s because it goes lower, plays cleaner and sounds much better. I do think you got a pretty good deal on the Polks however so you may want to hang on to them.

5. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

well, i cant get a 2000 dollar sub, that under 500 range is my budget, i may go with the velodyne,

can you tell the difference in a sub that goes below the 50 hrtz that mine do?

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I never tried to compare among subs with similar specs. I chose a "most likely candidate" based on research and reviews. I auditioned it, was happy with the sound, and bought it. That's not how I buy all my equipment, but it works for some items.

I think you can sure hear a diff. between a sub that does 15 Hz cleanly and loudly and one that bottoms out at 50 Hz. But to hear a difference among subs that go very low ... I don't know. Maybe. Probably.