What's new

two cheaper subs or one better one? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
i have two ten inch polk subs, the cheaper ones, they were on sale at circuit city for something like 100 bucks, i think they sound pretty good for movie watching but i keep thinking that i also thought my bose sounded great until i bought my klipsch speakers,

so is two cheaper subs ok or would one better sub like a velodyne sound better, my room is maybe 17x13, just guessing i could measure tonight

i plan on getting a new OTA hd tuner soon and as long as i upgrade that i was thinking of something else to upgrade, just wondering how much a difference it makes, its hard to tell at the store

John S

Senior HTF Member
The clear answer is maybe, maybe not.. :)

I went for the one better sub, but that was because I had toasted 3 JBL subs in a row, so figured I better bite the bullet.

I'm still pretty high on the Velodyne CHT-15 sub, you can run them way hot forever and no problemo. But on the good deal, it seems they are still $500 or there abouts.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"so is two cheaper subs ok or would one better sub like a velodyne sound better"

Um, what do you think Jeremy?

If cheap stuff sounded just as good, wouldn't everyone just buy cheap stuff?

I think you know which will sound better.

But try. If you can't hear a diff. between, say, a couple of $200 subs and a $2000 Velodyne, just stick with the cheap ones.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I would rather have one good sub that two cheaper ones, for example my old sub (Sony SA-WM40) cost $200 at the time, my new sub (HSU STF-2) cost $400, I would much rather have my STF-2 than two Sony’s because it goes lower, plays cleaner and sounds much better. I do think you got a pretty good deal on the Polks however so you may want to hang on to them.

Jeremy Swenson

Stunt Coordinator
well, i cant get a 2000 dollar sub, that under 500 range is my budget, i may go with the velodyne,

can you tell the difference in a sub that goes below the 50 hrtz that mine do?

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I never tried to compare among subs with similar specs. I chose a "most likely candidate" based on research and reviews. I auditioned it, was happy with the sound, and bought it. That's not how I buy all my equipment, but it works for some items.

I think you can sure hear a diff. between a sub that does 15 Hz cleanly and loudly and one that bottoms out at 50 Hz. But to hear a difference among subs that go very low ... I don't know. Maybe. Probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks