Two cheap subs vs one good one.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdNichols, Mar 3, 2003.

1. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

I have a cheap ($150) Kenwood sub that I bought a few years ago and now that I have upgraded my other speakers I am ready to look at the sub. This sub sounds pretty good for music but bottoms out for low freq. movies at moderate volume. Since I can get another one to add base for movies pretty cheap is that a good alternative to buying a bigger/better sub and just having it do the work vs two cheap subs? Anybody tried this and got an opinion?

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

two cheap subs wont give you the extension that a good sub will. chances are that you are missing all the information below 30-35Hz with your current sub, and getting a second one cant fix that.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yep - Get one good one and you won't have to worry about getting the 2 to play nice together.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Grab yourself one GOOD sub and start hearing the LFE you've been missing.. I recommend something from SVS, Adire Audio or HSU to get the most for your money. [​IMG]

5. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Ed:

Go the good + used route-ck out the classifieds in this forum. Most likely you'll find a excellent used powered sub for $400 to $500 range. Yes, it's probably about double what you'd pay for one cheap sub...but you won't want/need to upgrade for a long, long time.

6. EdNichols

EdNichols Second Unit

This is kinda of what I figured, thanks for the info.