What's new

Two Channel Setup (1 Viewer)

ehrawn

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
I am putting together my first home audio system. After some valuable help from the folks on this forum, I decided that a two channel setup is the best fit for my needs. However, I am having a lot of trouble figuring out which speakers to go with.

A little background: the gear will mostly be used for music and TV, with occasional movie watching. I listen to a wide range of music (from hip-hop to jazz and everything in between). My budget is about $2K, but any money saved here will be applied to a new HDTV. A also have some space restrictions because of the room layout: all of the AV equipment will be placed a 5' W x 3.5' D x 8' H cubby in the middle of the long wall of a 14' x 20' room.

I am leaning toward an integrated amp for their general quality to price ratio, but am still considering stereo receivers. After some online research, I picked out the NAD C325BEE. It seems to have consistently solid reviews, and the right price for my budget. With that in mind, I went to a couple dealers to check out some speakers. So far, I've looked at a few combinations from B&W, Klipsch, DefTech, Arcam, and Totem. The Totem Arros are the clear front runner for my listening tastes. Plus, the cabinets are gorgeous: beautifully crafted, but small enough to disappear in the room (large floor speakers would overpower the room).

There are a couple of concerns I have about the Arro.
1) The dealer recommended a larger amp to drive them (Cambridge Audio Azur 740A), which totally blows my budget.
2) The price is too much for me to afford a sub. While the Arro would be fine for most of my music collection, I'm afraid they would lack the punch for something like the Roots.

I am looking for recommendations on speakers that would allow me to enjoy a wide range of music, but meet my budget and placement restrictions? Bookshelf, satellite, and tower speakers are all on the table. There isn't a good variety of authorized dealers in my area, so I'm willing to consider direct-to-consumer companies like Axiom and AV123. Do I need to rethink my amp choice (the Outlaw RR2150 is intriguing)?Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I'm a big fan of Totem loudspeakers. One of my close friends owns Totem Arro speakers (coincidentally Diana Krall owns a pair as well), along with a Cyrus integrated amp and cd player. Sounds amazing for two-channel audio. The speakers that I own are very similar in design to Totem loudspeakers, and the designer is also a huge fan of Totem.

My own two-channel system consists of a Naim integrated amp, Naim CD5x with FlatCap2x, and Naim phono stage, along with my Rega Planar 3 turntable. Astoundingly good, though this will exceed your budget. If you can find yourself a second hand Naim Nait5i and CD5i, these have beautiful synergy with the Totem Arro's as well.

In any event, I would deeply consider a Cyrus integrated and cdp for your setup, these should meet your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks