What's new

Two Brothers (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else looking forward to this? One of my fondest movie memories is the Christmas day spent with my family watching The Bear for the first time.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else looking forward to this? One of my fondest movie memories is the Christmas day spent with my family watching The Bear for the first time.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jean-Jacques Annaud is one of my favorite directors. However, was this shop on video? The trailer looks very weird. JJ is a great visual director and the cinematography in his films is always outstanding, but this just looks strange, especially for him. I'll definitely get the DVD, and I'll see how people react to it here.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Jean-Jacques Annaud is one of my favorite directors. However, was this shop on video? The trailer looks very weird. JJ is a great visual director and the cinematography in his films is always outstanding, but this just looks strange, especially for him. I'll definitely get the DVD, and I'll see how people react to it here.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Anyone see it? I've had no time to, but really want to, and may do so finally this weekend, seeing how in my local theaters there's only a single showtime allotted to the film. It's going off the screens already? It's number 10 at the box office right now...

JamieD

Supporting Actor
It looked horrible to me. Painful even. And that sucks, because I'm really wondering what the hell Guy is thinking. Sorry, but I don't know a single male who had interest in it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The previews of Jean-Jacques Annaud’s Two Brothers make it look like it is a film that can be enjoyed by kids five years old or younger. This is a family film that is more dramatic than it is funny and more story driven than action driven. In my screening, there were some little kids that got restless after a while. Keep that in mind when taking your little ones.

The film is beautifully photographed and its story is well meaning. But there is a deep sense of falsehood when the story treats tigers as amicable and non-threatening as a house pet. With Annaud’s trick editing, it felt like I was not watching tigers move freely and in their natural habitat but instead trained tigers following the orders of a professional trainer off camera to move or act in a certain way. This, I feel, is a betrayal to its very human story to which the film wants so much to be grounded on.

Guy Pearce is fine in a very average and unchallenging role. Had the film been more of a fantasy, it might have worked better. Early school aged kids should enjoy it and parents who accompany their children shouldn’t grumble for having to sit through a miserable film, which this isn’t. It’s a fair family film as family films go.

Two Brothers rates (out of four).

~Edwin

Stephen JJ

Auditioning
I saw this film, and was disappointed. I'm a sucker for tigers, but the movie lacked drama or suspense. It was like i knew everything that was going to happen...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While the film's story wasn't as interesting as it could have been, I found myself more interested in what the filmmakers went through to get the tigers to perform in this film. The slapstick comedy bits were clumsily shot, which undercut the laughs, and the dramatic parts were pretty predictable (though, to achieve its ending, the story had to go the way it did).

I'd give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's the DVD for me then, as much as I love Annaud. And if rumors are correct, the DVD is due in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks