What's new

two bookshelf speakers as center? (1 Viewer)

PatSloan

Agent
Group,

I love my home theater. I already have a good amp HK avr525 and a good set of front speakers. Advent AS2's See here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00005T7CB

Problem is that I don't have a center to match these AS2's. I don't think Advent made one. I can't find one. Anyone know for sure? There are bookshelf speakers that do match the AS2's. See here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00005T7CA

I have a very tight budget. (4 kids/one income). So I don't want to chuck the AS2's out and start from scratch. So....

Would it be ok to use one or two of the AS1's as a center? If I can use two, what is the best way to wire and position them? I Mitsubishi 55" ws tv. Would it be best on top, or in front?

What about picking up two of the AS1's or one AS2 speaker, pull the drivers and build my own center cabinet for them? I have been longing to try a diy project.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--pat

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
There is no problem, (unless you can't fit it) using a center speaker that is the same as your mains. You may just want to use one, although several people have used 2 without problems. If you do opt for 2 (try both ways see what sounds better) I would recommend wiring them in series rather than parallel as your amp may not be able to take the load.

Here is a diagram of the two wiring options, I labeled it as subs as that was the topic I made this for but it is the same for any speaker. Series you add the two ohm loads together, parallel you subtract the loads, I used 4 ohm for this diagram due to the topic. It is the same, if you have 2 8 ohm loads in series it would be 16 in parallel it would be 4.

PatSloan

Agent
Thanks for the clear explanation of the parallel vs series.

The two mains are towers. So using the exact speaker might be a problem. They are shielded, so I could theoretically put one on top laying on its side. Would that be a workable situation?

I notice that most center speakers put the base drivers on either side of the tweeter. These speakers would be two base drivers with the tweeter on the top. So if I lay on it's side. The tweeter would be off to the one side. Good/bad?

Or should I just go with one or two bookshelf speakers that match the towers. Use them as centers?

Thanks

--pat

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
You are welcome.

Laying a tower or bookshelves isn't recommended as the off axis is different in that position. If you match a good bookshelf to the mains you should be fine, I would stand it (or them) upright though.

PatSloan

Agent
OK, ordered 4 bookshelves to match. Good deal at 69 bucks a pair shipped and no tax. I needed two for rear surrounds and one or two for center.

Could I not put the two bookshelves on the sides with the tweeters closest to each other? So effectively I would have from left to right. woofer - tweeter - tweeter - woofer.

Or would that still have the off axis issue?

--pat

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pat,

Go with the bookselfs. It appears they have the same tweeter and woofer as the tower, so it should be an excellent match, sonically-speaking. Personally I think bookshelfs are a better choice than most so-called center channels – no lobing, better dispersion than a woof-tweet-woof arrangement.

Mike’s right that it’s best to use them upright, but if you can’t for some reason, don’t sweat it. I’m using a bookshelf on its side for my center and it works fine.

If you are able to use it upright, you might want to invert it. This would put the tweeter closer to the ears and more on-axis with the other fronts. However, if you do this, make sure the speaker cabinet is flush with the front edge of the TV, perhaps a little forward of it.

There’s no reason to use both speakers unless you need to cover an overly-wide area. Hooking up both in series will cut your power output in half. The remaining power will then be divided between the two speakers. So each speaker ends up with 1/4 the power that a single one would have.

I’m guessing you’re going to say that it really bugs you to have to speakers and use only one of them, right? Well, don’t. No one uses all the features on their receivers, do they? Do you know anyone who’s ever used all the mind-boggling array of features on the typical VCR? The important thing is that you got what you needed. Besides, if these speakers are indeed discontinued, as the website says, it doesn’t hurt to have some spare parts.

By the way, the same speakers would be a good choice for surrounds, if you don’t have any yet.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I agree, start with one, keep the other as a spare. Inverting them is a good way to do it too. Also just like a regular center angle it down towards the listening position. I invert my surrounds and surround backs as I mount the off of the ceiling. I would try to have it forward of the screen if possible, especially if you have a flat screen. If it is flush you could color the sound or it may sound muffled due to the fact that you increased the face size of the cabinet.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator

Thats funny
So your saying that a center channel speaker uses a speacial driver and tweeter to change the listening dispursion?? When in fact they are the exact same drivers as a bookshelf..providing its the same manufacture.
How about you all taking out you tweeter and mid device and comapring it to your mains. I bet money if its the same manufature and series it uses the same type tweeter and mid device

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit

No, I am saying that the horizontal and vertical off-axis is different. I am not saying that they have different drivers. With some speakers, it makes no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks