What's new

Two Big Computer Problems (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'll list them in order

1. The File Association for playing music CD's on my computer has simply disappeared. Every time I try to play a CD, the computer claims there is no associated program to open it with. I go to Folder Options, and the icon for the CD is no longer there. Huh?

2. Whenever I open up Windows Media Player, it takes a full five to ten minutes to load up where in the past it used to take seconds. What gives?

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
you may have accidently deleted the CD file if it was shared unknowingly with another program you may have removed.
and 2 Run Scan Disk and Defrag...The problem may be scttered files...although five to 10 minutes is an extremely long time...bigger issues may be at fault here...I usually try the easy solutions before I start tinkering...

dan

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
and 2 Run Scan Disk and Defrag...The problem may be scttered files...although five to 10 minutes is an extremely long time...bigger issues may be at fault here...I usually try the easy solutions before I start tinkering...
Already did that, and it still doesn't fix it. However, my Windows Media Player coincidently started going slow when I changed the DVD-ROM settings to DMV checked on the setup in My System.

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
Navigate to the CD and double click on one of the audio tracks, it will say there is no association and ask you to choose what to open the file with. Select what program you want to use. There should also be a check box beside the words "always use this program to open this type of file". Check it.

If you're using a program like Winamp, you can press "CTRL" & "P" at the same time to bring up the preferences menu.
Go to the "file types" sub menu. Check the box that says "associate with audio CD's

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys, I finally got my CD's to be able to play on my computer. Now if I can figure out why Windows Media Player takes so damn long to start up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks