What's new

Two Basic Questions (1 Viewer)

Mikey L

Agent
I am in the process of building a new PC and have two questions:

1) I want the ability to connect my PC to my HT reciever (Yamaha RXV-620)....is that determined by the sound card I buy? I am currently looking at the Sound Blaster Live! series.

2) What is the best operating system out there right now for home use/gaming? I have heard that XP is faulty, and that Win 2000 is the way to go. I don't want any incompatibility problems with the latest games.

Thanks,

Mike

Camp

Senior HTF Member
1. Make sure the sound card you select has the right outputs you require in your HT. Check out recent threads on this topic.

2. There's nothing 'faulty' with WinXP. I use them both and, if anything, WinXP is a bit better for gaming. Really, though you can't go wrong either way.

Good luck!

Mikey L

Agent
Are there certain cards that have optical out or even component out to connect to recievers?

MichaelG

Second Unit
I haven't heard of any Video cards (or Audio cards) with digital optical output. You can get them with digital coaxial output through a connection called S/PDIF. As far as Component output, you might be able to find a VGA->Component converter, but I don't think that you can find any Component output hardware (at least that anyone can afford). Most good video cards with TV out will have an S-Video output which might be good enough.

Westly T

Second Unit
I've heard that SB cards output overly high Coax outputs that have been known to damage some receivers and that the quality is not the best available. I ordered a Zoltrix Nightingale PRO 6 Sound Card because it can be had for around $40 and has both optical and coaxial inputs and outputs. I use it for DTS, DD, and PCM.
components.jpg

scheme.jpg

A Review can be viewed http://www.digit-life.com/articles/zoltrixpro6/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks