What's new

Two 25-31 CS+ SVS's, or one 25-31 PC+? (1 Viewer)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I sent the below question to Ron at SVS as well. I'd just like to see other SVS owners opinion on this as well..

This question is in regards to a 2 channel system that I would like to add a sub to..

For the same price as a 25-31 PC+ I could get two 25-31 CS+ subwoofers. I currently have a Sherbourn amp using only 4 of 5 channels. It has a monoblock style chasis with 200 wpc. Because each channel has it's own power supply, I could run both 25-31 CS+ subs to the one channel on the amp which from what I can see, should be enough to give adaquate power? The amp has powered my home theater (with 100 lb Paradigm studio's) with no problem. I can only assume that 200 watts would be sufficient for both CS+ subs??

The advantage I would assume would be a sub on either side of the room along with the two main speakers which might sound more coherent and powerful?

I have a Rotel RSP-1066 processor and would be confident that I could calibrate the subs properly. However, I can only make adjustments to the settings through an external monitor. Would it be reasonable to assume that after successfully calibrating the subs, that I would not find a need to constantly tinker with the gain because of differences in music? Some artists pump low frequency into their music much more then others as you know.

The freedom of simply walking over to the PC+ sub and slightly turning the sub's 'volume' up or down on the SVS itself seems appealing. However, from what I hear, once you properly calibrate an SVS, you shouldn't ever have to worry about messing with it....What in your opinion, would be a better route to take if you were me?

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Nothing to do with wattage. I believe the SVS drivers are 4ohms (nominal) so plugging two of them into one channel is not recommended. The amp will see a 2ohm load!

If your Sherbourn had two spare channels you could do what you're asking- but connect one sub on a single channel.

The appeal of passive subs is a good one; however to get the features what the active Plus line have separately will cost you. You'll need the SVS Bass Interface Box- $150? then the 2 channel amp (say Samson S1000)And one xtra cable + speaker cable (Bass Interface Box to amp, amp to passive subs)

Setting apart the subs can be a tricky business, you'll need to spent time adjusting one's phase adjustment, then gain on that one to match the first one (then overall gain)

Since the initial calibrating/fine adjustment in the separate modes I don't have to keep on fiddling per disc.
That sounds like you've got it too loud (one is booming away, others seem silent)

You might not need a dual setup. In fact some find the 16hz PCi more than enough (and that's the one with the lowest maximum SPL output of the lot!)

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
How about we disregard this post all together :b

It's not a CS+, but the CS line.

Also, I misunderstood the FAQ on the SVS website regarding splitting the signal. They did mention I would need an independent channel for each sub.

I'll just stop talking now...:)

Ned

Supporting Actor
So is it a 2 channel system or surround? You mention having a 5 channel amp, the Rotel 1066 surround processor.

If it's really a 2 channel only system then the 16-46PC+ is a good choice. If it's surround, then dual 25-31CS+ would work nicely. Wire them in series for an 8ohm load and each gets about 100 watts. It depends how much SPL you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.