twisting speaker wires together good or bad?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by allan espinoza, Dec 21, 2004.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

well i just ran out of speaker wire trying to connect right surround and im just missing about a foot at the most and instead of going out and buying more speaker wire and the one i have now going to waste, would it be ok to attach another speaker wire, small extra one i have laying around, of the same size and brand as the one im short on and twisting the two wires together creating an extension? would there be any signal loss or am i just better off buying a whole set of new wires?

2. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

anybody??? how about this, if you only needed less than a foot of speaker wire, would you:
    a. extend the wire by adding another piece and twisting the wires together.
    b. would never try doing that.
    c. just go out and buy more speaker wire.
    d. move the speaker closer, but throwing the alignment of all speakers measured pefectly to save money.

i need a decision made by morning so that i dont waste money or performance. please help!!!

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I would use some of those plastic crimp connectors,good connection,and protects from shorts.

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

twist and wire nuts. solder and shrink tube. crimped butt splice connectors. all will do fine. i prefer #2 or 3, but have been known to do just about anything. and you can always replace the run later!

ag.