What's new

Twisted metal black (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Kelley,
QUOTE:
"I still think its pretty wrong of Sony to not wait on the BBA to be released and just release one game, does anyone know if they will offer a replacement or a discount for those who purchase this game and then want the later version."
Well, maybe you see it that way, but the BBA/Hard Drive are not due out till sometime this fall. I personally have been waiting for years now for a true successor to Twisted Metal 2 and would hate it if they delayed the game 4 or 5 months till the BBA was launched. I'll GLADLY pay more money months from now for the online version of the game.
I'm a die hard fan of vehicular combat games though...
Aaron

Tom Foppiano

Auditioning
I'm also glad they're releasing TMB now instead of five months later. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't really give a rat's a$$ about online play. Multiplayer modes don't mean anything to me unless its against someone I know and that they're right next to me so I can talk smack to 'em. From what I've read in the reviews this morning, it sounds like this version will give me all I need.
One of my fondest multiplayer memories is when I won the world title from my brother on Smackdown 2 on PSX. I cued up the ending music from Rocky on my stereo system and paraded around the room in mock celebration while he fumed in anger, mangling his controller. THAT's what multiplayer is about to me, not fragging some guy in Ohio I'll never meet. It's about humiliating the ones you know and care about, haunting them for weeks with bragging rights. (Of course, the next day he threw me off a 16 foot cage to win back the title, but that's another story).
My only problem is that it's being released on the same day as Escape from Monkey Island. I'm a fan of that series from way back, so it looks like be out $100 easily this week.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Have to agree with Tom regarding multiplayer...i have played online games but the most fun myself and my mates have had is with games like Timesplitters, Bomberman, ISS Soccer and networked Age of Empires2/Unreal Tournament. Can't beat Fragging someone sitting next to you!!!
Can't wait to get my hands on TMB..

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I know what you mean! The GBA launched last week (which I bought with 3 games and a battery pack) and now TMB this week! Plus, I do believe Sonic Adventure 2 (DC) is due out this week as well...which I also intend to buy.
So has anyone actually seen TMB in any stores today? I went to Wal-Mart this morning before work and they did not have it yet. I'm hoping that either Best Buy or Software Etc. will come through and get it out today! The wait is killing me now, especially after reading all the excellent review the past couple of days.
Aaron

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I was in E.B. yesterday and a guy came in asking about it. The store manager said that they'd have it Wednesday.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Multiplayer mode is really what TM is all about IMO. The developers have said in interviews that they focused more on the multiplayer aspects of the game. I agree playing someone right next to you is best, but my buddy I played TM1/2 with for hours on end now lives 3000 miles away from me in LA. Being able to play TMB with him across country will be great. Plus being able to play fullscreen with another person will be cool (which I'm assuming/hoping will be the case). I wish TMB supported the link cable, actually does PS2 even have a link cable? Playing full screen is so much better than split screen. I was in Funcoland yesterday and was told they'd have it Wed.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
My local Software Etc. just got the game in so I'll be picking it up right now. You might want to try calling your local stores again=).

Tom Foppiano

Auditioning
Picked up TMB during lunch and was able to play a bit before I had to head back to work (I live nearby the office). Quick impressions - Looks good and sounds good so far. The control is going to take some getting used to but I do like how you don't have switch fingers around for the basic set up. The sticks control direction and speed and the shoulder buttons control the weapons. That's it, nice and simple, no fiddling around. I also like the menu, a nicely fluid on that reminds you this is a DVD.
Funniest thing I saw was the Preacher's (who drives Brimstone I believe) special weapon. It consists of catapulting a religious fanatic off the hood of the car at your opponent. I've read in reviews, he screams "Repent! Repent!" while he's flying through the air, but I couldn't quite hear with the rockets flying and the tires squealing. Regardless, extremely twisted and funny.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I've played it for about an hour or so by myself and so far I'm happy. It's basically TM2 updated, which is a good thing. The car control is great (it's very similar to TM2, but improved) and the graphics are great (obviously WAY improved over TM2). There are some things about it that are TM1 such as the power up stations and the way turbo works(pressing the gas button twice and holding). The game is definitly harder than TM2. I can essentially breeze right through TM2 on hard, but they are kicking my ass on the medium setting so far. Gotta get used to it I guess. The controls are basically the same as TM2 the big difference being the freeze/shields/ect controls are different. Still use the directional pad, just different sequences (I wish they wouldn't have changed that). My fav TM2 character is Grimm, but I haven't been able to play him much cause they REALLY kill me quick with his light armor. Brimstone's religious-fanatic special does indeed yell out "repent! repent!" before he blows up. Pretty funny. Oh that reminds me one thing I'm not liking is that there are tons of pedestrians and whatnot to kill, but they don't really scream or anything like they used to. That's kind of a bummer.

Frederick

Second Unit
I got mine yesterday from EB. I'm one of the few who never played any of the TM series, actually I can't remember playing ANY car combat type games. I picked this one up on faith, and the fact that I just finished Red Faction, so I needed something new to play on my PS2. I only played it for a few minutes (had people over watching the Robotech DVD's), and again, I'm new at this, but here's my impressions:
For one, this game is beautiful. One of the reasons I had such short play time is because I was watching the intro's. They really did a good job with this game. Each person has his own story, and it seems like they put a lot of effort into making them plausible. The animation is fantastic. Once I got passed those, I did a quick glance through the setup, grabbed Sweet Tooth (something about the clown grabs me), and jumped in. Big mistake. I was clueless. Note to newbies: read the instructions and put this puppy on easy until you get the control scheme down. This game is intense, and almost every control/button does something. I knew immediately that the controls were going to take some getting used to, especially since I was getting my @$$ handed to me, much to the amusement of my friends, who wouldn't even TOUCH the controller ...
The graphics were awsome. And this game is FAST! There were explosions and missles and cars flying everywhere, and I saw NO slowdown. Even the sound was great going through my receiver. I'm thinking about going with an optical cable instead of the analog cables. My friends were impressed. Sony's coming out with some hits as of late, and this one is no exception. I plan on devoting a weekend to TM so that I can start givin' what I'm gettin'. This is a must-buy. I'm spending WAY too much money on games as of late, and with GT3 on the horizon, it doesn't seem that I'm going to get a break anytime soon. Nice job, Sony ...
Freddy
------------------
" ... Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much ..."

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I played this a little more last night and now that I'm getting used to the controls, I really like it. Instead of using the right stick for gas/brake, I swithed to using the buttons and that seems to have helped me with controlling the vehicle. I've never played any of the previous TM games so I can't compare to previous versions but this is a great game. The graphics are amazing. Definitely a game that you can use to show off your PS2. If anyone is debating about whether to buy this or not, all I can say is "What are you waiting for???" It's a definite 'must buy' game.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I beat it tonight with Grimm on easy. Still took me awhile, but I'm getting the hang of it. The game gets better and better as you go. The level where you start on a ship and then it docks is great. At one point the waves crashed over the side of the ship, it looked so cool. Oh and the end credits were really cool, with "Paint it Black" playing over this montage of TMB scenes. Get this game, it rocks.
Tim, I don't use the analog sticks at all. If you use the left one how are you doing freeze and putting on your shields? Seems easier to me to use the d-pad, so your fingers are right there ready.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Ryan - I haven't been using any of the energy weapons so far. I'll try using the d pad today to see if that helps any. I never played any of the previous TM games so this is all new to me. I'm still getting my a$$ kicked in this game so I definitely need to start using the energy weapons to get better.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, IMO freeze and shields are essential to playing. Freeze is especially important if your special weapon is a non-homing one that you need to be close to use effectively (like Grimm's). Doing a rear shot is also pretty useful and you have to use the d-pad for that too. I have never found invisiblity to be too useful, so I never use that. I guess it's more useful when you're playing against a 2nd player. The only problem I have with the d-pad is that I'm constantly dropping mines by accident which either I run into or just wastes energy so I can't do freeze/sheilds as much.
If you really like TMB, I recommend getting TM2 if you see if for cheap. It's a classic.

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I LIKE IT! Even though I keep getting my ass handed to me. I will be picking up the online upgrade later this year. I'd like to play against fellow HTF members.
P.S.
My wife doesn't understand why it's fun to destroy other cars and run over people. She is currently seeking psychiatric help for me.

paul h

Supporting Actor
This game rocks in 2 player, not tried 4 player yet..
Most fun i've had with a game for some time, cool trying out the different specials for all the characters...love the one for Brimstone i think, where you fire a guy off your bonnet who lands on top of your opponents car shouting repent before blowing up!!! sweet.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This game is SOOOO hard even at easy difficulty. Maybe I just am not as fast as I used to be. I don't like the control. I want to put steering on the left control and gas/break on the right. Or maybe gas/break on the buttons with steering on the left analog stick with fire at r1 & l1, switch weapons with r2 and l2. Shooting with the top triggers is ok, but I'm having a hard time reaching the buttons on the right side.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Mike - Steering IS on the left for me with gas/brake on the right and I'm using the default control setup. I haven't tried changing the controls but I think that there are a number of preset control schemes as well as a customizable one. I'd have to look to be sure though. The control seemed a little difficult to me at first but the more I play the more I get used to it and the easier it becomes. The only thing I still have a problem with is the energy weapons. I'm not used to them yet because I haven't been using them enough.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The level where you start on a ship and then it docks is great.
Yeah, that level is awesome. Keep in mind that you can ELECTRIFY the prisoners strapped up to chairs near the front of the ship by running into the button.
Also, on the suburbs if you go to the ferris wheel you can knock it down and watch it roll all the way down the hill and into the ocean. Very sweet!
I love the ENVIRONMENTAL weapons, like the Blimp on the ship and the LIGHNING in the suberbs. One of the stupid CPUs lightninged me to wipe me out once. Sucked, but it was still pretty cool.
So many of the levels are so big and full of cool things you can do and places to go.
I'm playing the hell out of this and NBA Street.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks