What's new

Twins :) (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
twins.jpg

Yes I know the camera lense needs to be cleaned :b
Dayton 12" DVC, 160W and a 4" flared port.
39.5" tall and tuned to just under 20hz :p)
Bottom with base plate and sock not in place.
Closer shot of just one.
I may take some more pictures and write some more later, but I really should be studing for my 3rd to last final, for hopefully at least several years, I have tomorrow.
PS- This is my second time out at the adventure known as DIY sub building and it only took 2 days to build them this time. In contrast to the over a week it took for my dad and I with my Tempest. These two subs aren't mine, one for parents one for roommate. I just designed, ordered the parts and helped build.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Those look fantastic Dustin!
If I were to make a sonosub, it (they) would look like those.
Let us know how they sound. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Rick Thomas

Agent
Those are some KICK ASS looking subs i love em!!!What material did you use for the sock?I'm thinking of using some stretched black velour

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well I didn't get much time to listen to them at my parents place. And although I'm studying (really I am) we have done a quick calibration in my roommate's room and ran a little TPM and Matrix (no critical music listening yet, that will come tomorrow or tuesday). His room is 10'x12'. The sub is corner loaded (Avia LFE freqeuncy sweep showed a null at 70hz but it's +/-3dB below that all the way down to 20hz and above 80hz) with 5 other badly placed speakers. He really wants me to move out soon so he can put his stuff where mine currently is :p) In a room that small the base level seems like it is more than I get from my Tempest running at the same level in a significantly larger room. The helicopter explosion in the Matrix at 5dB below reference with the sub running 3-4dB hot had my clothes vibrating. But it sounded very similar to my Tempest for those two quick demos. We might bring it upstairs to compare to my Tempest later.

The fabric is just plain black ribbing. It's very stretchy and comes as a tube. Just cut to length and pull over. The endcaps and base are just mdf with a primer and flat black spray paint.

Cam S

Screenwriter
They look awsome Dustin, pretty impressive, and they actually look identical!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and since Kyle dropped in with the compliment I 'll return the favor and give him a plug.

I bought all the parts for these two subs from Acoustic Visions. Kyle was great to deal with. Price was very good, he did the leg work to find the best shipping option for me and he even sent me the resistors to mod the two amps free of charge when I was having difficulting finding some locally.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,
Would you mind posting a quick and dirty parts list with approximate costs?. I've been thinking about using a friend as a guinea pig for my first DIY project. He'd have a pretty tight budget, and this might just fit.
By the way, they look beautiful! My friend would be VERY impressed if I could make his look that good.
Thanks,
David
Oh, by the way, you said:
And although I'm studing (really I am)
I hope you're not expecting any sympathy! How much of a fee do you command? I'd like to try that myself, if I weren't so darn ugly. :D :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, quick and dirty parts list with costs. I don't know how different things will be in the US price wise for enclosure materials, but you'll be able to get the parts I ordered from Acoustic Visions for less as you won't have to pay tax, shipping will be less and you won't have a brokerage fee. Here's a rough list (USD).
Dayton DVC12"
PE 300-792 (you'll need 2 resistors to mod it)
8" Metal Mesh Grille
FP4 port kit
Binding Posts
That would be $225 + shipping ($15-$30)
Then:
18" sonotube
3/4" 4x8 sheet of MDF
8x 1/4" Tnut
8x 1/4" by 2" machine screws
4x 1/4" nut, lock washer and washer
1.5' of 1.5" hardwood dowel
1.5' of 1/4" threaded rod
2-3' of 12 or 14 guage speaker wire
4 solderless ring terminals
closed cell foam weather stripping
caulking
bulldog glue
polyfill batting
ribbing (fabric for the sock)
quart of primer
2 cans of flat black spray paint
Depending on where you get this stuff and whether you can buy the sonotube in less than 12' lengths will depend on what this comes to. It was just under $100 CDN per sub (but I had 6' of sonotube left over from my Tempest so I'm only counting that at $10CDN and you can buy sheets of MDF for less than $30CDN). So I'll say $60-$100USD.
Oh, and David, what's this "studing" you speak of :p)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Cam it can add up fast, but still just over $500CDN for a sub that could easily take a PW2200 ain't bad.

If you have to buy a 12' length (that's the only way some places will sell it) of sonotube that's at least $40. A sheet of MDF is another $30. All the various mounting hardware and leg material can get up to almost $20. Glue and caulking will be almost another $10. Fabric and batting will be at least another $20. Primer and paint will be almost another $20. That's $140CDN.

Needed 1 and 1/2 sheets of MDF for two subs, they sell half sheets but not 3/4 sheets. Having left over sonotube from my Tempest and being able to split glue, caulking and paint over two subs also cut costs.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
y make 1 when you can make 2 for twice the price lol but i bet it would be cheaper to do 2 than 1over all if you buld 1 now and 1 later

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks