Twin Tempest Sonosubs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Sa, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Anthony Sa

Anthony Sa Agent

Hey guys, this weekend I think that I am going to make 2 sonotubes for tempests. I have not bought the tempests yet and was thinking of buying twin 1803's, but realized that I would rather use a 15'' woofer that didnt need an eq. I want to make a 20'' diameter tube that is 72'' high and use an 8'' port tuned to atleast 18hz. How long should the port be?

Anthony

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Hi Anthony,

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Ack...made a mistake, sorry...

I'd be interested in your comments on this setup, I've been thinking of making a more robust sub than my current sealed tempest setup...

Andrew

4. ScottHinson

ScottHinson Extra

I have run a twin Tempest system before. It provided for stunning quantity and quality of bass. At that time I had two tempests, each in ~6.5 cubic feet tuned to 18Hz with dual 3 inch aeroports. The amplifier for the setup was a Mackie FR-1400.

Running my signal generator into the amplifier input, I could actually make people ill with full output at 16-20Hz. In my room I could never measure this well since so many things rattled and made noise, LAUD measurements were useless.

What do I run now? One of the tempest boxes. I'll get the other one in the system, but since we've moved my wife has been enjoying looking at only one box. ;-)

Scott Hinson