What's new

Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I kept watching for a while in S2 but got bored and stopped, coming back only for the finale. But I knew TONS of people who gave up after the S1 finale and the S2 premiere when it became obvious they weren't going to get the solution. While I agree that the solution is never as interesting (or at least usually isn't) being constantly suspended gets very tiring for the average viewer. In fact, someone I know uses it as an alternative to "get to the point." He says, "Come on. I no longer CARE who killed Laura Palmer!" LOL

To me, in the beginning it felt like they were going somewhere specific and distinct, but as the second season dawned it seemed like they were making it up as they went along and were, for lack of a better word, aimless. That may not have been the case, but it felt that way to me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
JohnMor said:
To me, in the beginning it felt like they were going somewhere specific and distinct, but as the second season dawned it seemed like they were making it up as they went along and were, for lack of a better word, aimless. That may not have been the case, but it felt that way to me.
Yeah, I never really cared who killed Laura Palmer as long as the characters continued to evolve and intrigue in different ways, which they kind of lost the plot on a bit. So many show runners now, at least, admit they have some vague idea of where they're going, but often are making it up as they go along. I think LOST was the poster child for this, but Vince Gilligan admits as much with Breaking Bad, saying they'd write themselves into a corner and then the fun was just figuring how they'd connect the dots (like the opening to the last season when Walter loads a 50 caliber machine gun in his trunk - Gilligan said they had no idea where they were going with that at that point).

In Twin Peaks, you just get that sense that Lynch got bored with this little experiment and handed it over and nobody else quite knew what to do with it, but they also didn't want to mess with the characters too much because they somehow thought they were sacred to Lynch. Which, of course, they really weren't. But they also bent them in ways that weren't really well thought out. Story ultimately comes from character. In this respect, I think for purely great characters worth following and evolving, Northern Exposure found the right chemistry and stands up much better than anything in Twin Peaks past that first glorious season.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is that a Breaking Bad spoiler above?? Skipped right over it cause it sounded like one.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Man, some serious lip sync issues in episode 9. The audio is almost a full second ahead of the visual in the opening scene and a couple others that is very disorienting. Hey, with this show, you never know, maybe that was the point and done on purpose. But if this was the final ADR or looping, somebody in the audio department should have lost their union card.

At this point in re-watching the series, my wife and I are seriously considering moving to Colorado or Washington to somehow find our own way back into sync with the creators of the show. It's getting harder to take this show with a straight face.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wayne, I posted this earlier about episode 9 -- it's the only sync issue that I've noticed on the show so far (which is not to say that there aren't more, but this is the first one I noticed):

"I noticed a lip sync issue last night in Episode 9, around 15 or 16 minutes in, the scene where Ben and Jerry Horn are sitting and talking to each other, a lot of their conversation seemed slightly out of sync. The scene before and the scene after seemed fine to me."

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The first scene with Cooper is way out of sync. He's in close up, too, so even on a smaller monitor it would have been noticeable. Again, I just think sloppy ADR on the original.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I watched, on Laserdisc, the two scenes in Episode 9 that people seem to be focused on. The resolution and audio are very good, though they are obviously not stunningly pristine like they are on the spectacular Blu-Ray, but going back and forth between the two, the audio in the first scene when Dale Cooper is speaking, and in the second scene when Ben Horne is speaking, are absolutely right in sync with the picture on the laserdisc. You'd never look at those two scenes and think anything was off. On the DTS-HDMA track on the Blu-Ray, the voices sound more like ADR, and they don't seem out of sync exactly, but they do sound a bit disconnected from the mouths of the actors, while the Dolby Digital 2.0 audio track was right on, like the Laserdisc. Could what people are noticing be a problem with the 7.1 DTS remix? Having said all of that, when I watch the Blu-Ray, I will listen to the 7.1 audio. If this matter hadn't been put forth by a lot of home theatre/Twin Peaks buffs whose opinions I respect greatly, I think I'd never have noticed anything myself.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
...while the Dolby Digital 2.0 audio track was right on, like the Laserdisc
I kept meaning to check the stereo track but since I never really noticed a sync issue on the episodes, I forgot all about it. Assuming the FWWM deleted scenes have a 2.0 track, I should see if they're in sync that way.

On an unrelated note, I never noticed that you can see part of the real world "Home Of Twin Peaks Pies" sign on the outside the Double R Diner when Laura is loading the Meals On Wheels food in the station wagon in Fire Walk With Me. And you can see it completely in the deleted scenes.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
TravisR said:
On an unrelated note, I never noticed that you can see part of the real world "Home Of Twin Peaks Pies" sign on the outside the Double R Diner when Laura is loading the Meals On Wheels food in the station wagon in Fire Walk With Me. And you can see it completely in the deleted scenes.
It was certainly there when we went for pie during our little "Fire Walk With Me" location shoot stalking adventure. As far as it being in the movie, the fame of Twin Peaks pies might well be why Dale Cooper had pie on the brain driving up there for the first time.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Weird... I watched the whole series on my 120" screen in 7.1 and never had any issues with syncing. Could it be related to specific players? I used an Oppo and my set is from the UK.Still my favourite TV show. I think S2 is way underrated and in my research into the show, I was shocked to find that Lynch was actually very hands on in S2, in fact some reports suggested he was MORE hands on in S2 than he was in S1 (where he was busy with Wild at Heart).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Interesting. I got my online from Best Buy, which is still selling it. And I just tried playing episode 9 in the Original Stereo instead of the 7.1 DTS and the lip sync is still way off in those two scenes, so it is most likely the original ADR. It has nothing to do with your player. Again, this is like a few scenes out of the entire series so I'm not sweating it. It's not like they replaced Angelo's music or something (cough cough The Fugitive cough cough).

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
About this sync issue, in the early days of DVD I bought a new model Sony player that had terrible sync issues on many DVD's. The sound would slip a few seconds out of sync randomly, and non-repeatedly. I'd go back to an out-of-sync scene and it would be back in sync. I returned that player and bought a Toshiba player, which worked perfectly. Against the possibility of a similar problem with Blu-Ray players, the player that I had no "Twin Peaks" Blu-Ray problem with was a Sony BDP-S770. Anybody else want to report on this?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
Against the possibility of a similar problem with Blu-Ray players, the player that I had no "Twin Peaks" Blu-Ray problem with was a Sony BDP-S770. Anybody else want to report on this?
You didn't even have a sync problem with the FWWM deleted scenes? I didn't notice it on the episodes either but a couple of the deleted scenes were way off for me.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
TravisR said:
You didn't even have a sync problem with the FWWM deleted scenes? I didn't notice it on the episodes either but a couple of the deleted scenes were way off for me.
I haven't watched that whole section yet. I've had a copy of the complete script for twenty years, and it's so thrilling to see the actual scenes that I've been replaying the David Bowie and Chris Isaak ones, without noticing any sync problems yet. I'll pass on my findings

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
I haven't watched that whole section yet. I've had a copy of the complete script for twenty years, and it's so thrilling to see the actual scenes that I've been replaying the David Bowie and Chris Isaak ones, without noticing any sync problems yet. I'll pass on my findings
Cool. For what it's worth, I really noticed it in the scenes with Big Ed & Norma in his pickup and Truman, Hawk & Andy in the conference room.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm watching on an Oppo BDP-103. Other than that scene with Ben and Jerry Horne in Episode 9, nothing has stood out to me. I also know that once I see it, I'll never be able to not see it, so selfishly speaking, I'm not eager to spend too much time looking for issues. I'd love it if it got fixed but I won't complain if it doesn't. I never noticed these on the DVDs (which I've since sold so I can't go and compare them), but that was also SD and being watched on a smaller screen, so maybe I just never noticed before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks