What's new

Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I have no clue what caused it or if it'll be fixed but I noticed the lip sync a number of times on The Missing Scenes (it's very noticeable during the scene of Ed and Norma in his truck and the scene with Truman, Hawk and Andy in the conference room) and periodically on Fire Walk With Me (it was infrequent enough that it could have just been ADR that wasn't perfect). I didn't notice it on any of the episodes though.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks, Travis! Clearly, I can trust you on this and will proceed to purchase.

Best,
TravisR said:
^ I have no clue what caused it or if it'll be fixed but I noticed the lip sync a number of times on The Missing Scenes (it's very noticeable during the scene of Ed and Norma in his truck and the scene with Truman, Hawk and Andy in the conference room) and periodically on Fire Walk With Me (it was infrequent enough that it could have just been ADR that wasn't perfect). I didn't notice it on any of the episodes though.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mark Walker said:
Thanks, Travis! Clearly, I can trust you on this and will proceed to purchase.

Best,
I don't want to talk you out of a purchase but if others are reporting sync issues with episodes, it could be that I'm not as good at catching it as other folks or maybe the issue varies by player?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark Walker said:
I was about to purchase this on Amazon and saw reviews mentioning the lip sync issue on a few episodes and in Fire Walk With Me.
Is this an authorizing issue with the blu-ray, or, as you suggest below, a dubbing issue present when the episode was made?

I don't want to buy this if there is going to be a re-pressing to resolve this *IF* it is an authoring flaw.
The lip sync issues I saw in episode 4 were most likely ADR or looping in the original print that a magnified HD image exposes more than our old CRT sets. I haven't noticed any others since that episode, so far. You can be pretty sure this set was meticulously scrutinized by Lynch or his cohorts because he's a perfectionist, so this is definitely the best we'll get (and those minor issues unfixable), and it's well worth it. This is a set done with loving care, for sure.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'd be happy to check the 1993 Image laserdiscs of the episodes for the same lip sync problems, if somebody would post the locations of them on the Blu-Rays.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I notice a slight, very slight lip sync issue on the Pilot. That's as far as I have gotten so far.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I noticed a lip sync issue last night in Episode 9, around 15 or 16 minutes in, the scene where Ben and Jerry Horn are sitting and talking to each other, a lot of their conversation seemed slightly out of sync. The scene before and the scene after seemed fine to me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
When did Episode 7 originally air and how many episodes were in Season 1, because I forgot and this episode was non-stop cliff-hangers, so it was either before a break or a point where they were hoping for more episode orders.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Huge drop off in the second season opener. Wow. Interminable scenes that go on forever. Zero pacing. Dry California hills in the Leo house scene background. You can tell they were just running in place at this point trying to figure out how to fill 22 episodes. Cooper's hair is bulging out. But the lighting and the beautiful people are consistently... beautiful. I forgot the first season ran only 7 episodes during the summer, but seeing this you start to realize they shot their wad there. It's funny how television history rested on such a short run of inspired weirdness. I guess it was revolutionary in that sense, too, where it set the tone for limited series that run only about 7-10 episodes per season like True Detective, The Killing (6 this last season), etc. There are a lot of shows whose reputations would have been better if they quit while they were ahead. Twin Peaks gets a pass for breaking so much new ground first.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been watching these Blu-rays with my girlfriend, who had never seen it before - it's always fun to watch something like this with someone who's coming in fresh. She enjoyed the first season, but found the second season premiere to be very slow and sorta boring. However, she liked the next two episodes following the premiere much better. I don't think the slow premiere is really a sign of really anything, a lot of shows do that where they come back from summer break and you're dying to find out what's happened or what will happen next, and they take their time in that first episode. I think the slowness was probably the result of them having a two hour timeslot to fill with what seemed like one hour's worth of plot.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Interminable scenes that go on forever.
The scenes with Cooper, the world's most decrepit room service waiter and the Giant are my favorite scenes in the episode because they went on forever (even the simple act of hanging up the phone takes too long) and it just becomes funny. Frost and Lynch had the guts to let Lynch do his thing and take forever with an episode that they knew would have a huge audience that was probably expecting the reveal of the killer by the end of the episode.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
The scenes with Cooper, the world's most decrepit room service waiter and the Giant are my favorite scenes in the episode because they went on forever (even the simple act of hanging up the phone takes too long) and it just becomes funny.
Agreed. I found the pacing of the episode to be a little slow upon rewatching this time, but those moments were as enjoyable as they were the first time I saw the series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In a similar vein, how amazing is it that ABC looked at the pilot of this series, ordered more episodes and aired them? It's 24 years later and the pilot would still be drastically out of place everywhere except HBO. By the time of the S2 premiere, I'm sure the show did whatever they wanted (within reason) and by the time of the series finale, no one cared anymore (resulting in the weirdest goddamn thing ever to be on broadcast TV) but it's to ABC's credit that they took a chance on the pilot and to the audience's credit for going with it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
TravisR said:
In a similar vein, how amazing is it that ABC looked at the pilot of this series, ordered more episodes and aired them? It's 24 years later and the pilot would still be drastically out of place everywhere except HBO.
Oh, thanks to American Horror Story and Fargo, I could also see it on FX. But look how long it took for even cable to catch up with what this show did in it's first season. On network, no less.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TravisR said:
The scenes with Cooper, the world's most decrepit room service waiter and the Giant are my favorite scenes in the episode because they went on forever (even the simple act of hanging up the phone takes too long) and it just becomes funny. Frost and Lynch had the guts to let Lynch do his thing and take forever with an episode that they knew would have a huge audience that was probably expecting the reveal of the killer by the end of the episode.
I think Josh is correct they were trying to fill a two-hour episode. As a writer, I just felt every scene was drawn out to twice it's usual length, not because it was Lynch being Lynch, but because they just took an hour episode of events and stretched it out. The network brass must have been clawing their eyes out, happy they probably had big numbers for the premiere, but freaking out that the opportunity may have been squandered and it turned more people off than on with the deliberately dragged out pacing. That may have been the point where they lost patience and said, 'wrap up the Laura Palmer storyline.' Lynch was probably already over his television experience by now anyway. You kind of get that from him just pushing that waiter scene to almost 14 minutes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
That may have been the point where they lost patience and said, 'wrap up the Laura Palmer storyline.'
I'm sure. I imagine that the S2 premiere had the biggest ratings of the series (even more than the reveal or conclusion of the Who Killed Laura Palmer story) and probably literally millions of people looked at that episode- maybe even just the first act- and said "Fuck this" and never watched the show again. Personally, I'm more in line with Lynch's thinking that the resolution is never as interesting as the mystery and that you should keep the mystery going as long as possible. Although he's out of his mind for not wanting to ever reveal the killer.

EDIT: I took a look at Wikipedia and actually the pilot and first two episodes had more viewers than the S2 premiere. The pilot had nearly 35 million viewers, episode 1 had 23 million and both episode 2 and episode 8/the S2 premiere had about 19 million viewers. The next week, the number of viewers for the second episode of S2 went down by about 5 million to about 14 million.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TravisR said:
I'm sure. I imagine that the S2 premiere had the biggest ratings of the series (even more than the reveal or conclusion of the Who Killed Laura Palmer story) and probably literally millions of people looked at that episode- maybe even just the first act- and said "Fuck this" and never watched the show again. Personally, I'm more in line with Lynch's thinking that the resolution is never as interesting as the mystery and that you should keep the mystery going as long as possible. Although he's out of his mind for not wanting to ever reveal the killer.

EDIT: I took a look at Wikipedia and actually the pilot and first two episodes had more viewers than the S2 premiere. The pilot had nearly 35 million viewers, episode 1 had 23 million and both episode 2 and episode 8/the S2 premiere had about 19 million viewers. The next week, the number of viewers for the second episode of S2 went down by about 5 million to about 14 million.
Interesting. Thanks for the research. So by the time they got to the S2 premiere it was almost half what the original pilot pulled, and then they lost another 25% after that (no wonder). So curiosity factor was the biggest driver for the show. But those of us who were there the first time around all the way through also have a big nostalgic factor along with the quality. Almost because of the pace, it was the perfect show to watch with a group of friends (or at bars in L.A. as I mentioned). You could watch this entire show without the dialogue and still get everything you needed from the visuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks