What's new

Twin Peaks Season 2? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great full-length documentary on the last disk on this with most of the cast participating, and each nicely staged with their own background set piece. Co-creator Mark Frost is interviewed extensively in this doc, but not Lynch, for some reason. Then Lynch shows up in his own extra "Slice of Lynch" having cherry pie and really not illuminating much about the show (but per the production standards of the show, nicely lit himself).
Incidentally, per all the posts on disks damaged in the mail; one purchasing option I used is to get it at your local Borders using the 30% off coupons now being spit out in abundance for any purchases made there. That brings the price down to about the same as on Amazon ($66), and my copy was in pristine condition. If you have a local Borders, and are a Rewards member (free), check it out.
This show was such a cult favorite in L.A. at the time that local nightclubs had "Twin Peaks" nights on Thursdays and stopped the music, dancing, strobe lights or whatever, to show it on screens for their patrons. Most of those patrons were, of course, in such altered states that there minds suddenly lined up quite nicely with Lynch's own natural mind state ;) for a pleasing... harmonic convergence.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jeff Ulmer said:
I'm in no way belittling your work which I have always respected, and this Twin Peaks set certainly looks very good to this first time viewer. It just would have been nice to have the rest of the extras even if it meant a slight increase in the cost.
I have to agree to an extent. No one is going to blind-buy this set. This set is for the die-hard fans who, in all likelihood, have already purchased one or both of the season sets already released and would likely be willing to pay even more for a truly complete set.
Still, this box looks great.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
This new DVD set is incredible.
I love the new transfer of S1, I'm seeing new details that I didn't notice on the original S1 set.
Also, I am enjoying the new sound mixes on S1, they're subtly different but for the better, for example the scene in which Dr. Jacoby listens to Lauras tape - on the original set there was a rather distracting use of the surrounds, on this new set it's beautifully pulled off.
The set is well worth the double dip, even if you own both of the previous season releases.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
GOT MY SET! I actually got my 12 cards! Sadly not the main one I wanted. (Duchovny in a dress.) Checked all the disks, they all seem fine. No fingerprints, no scratches. Only issues is a crack in the first plastic shell. Not gonna whine about that though. As far as I'm concerned the plastic is there to take the damage:)
Very VERY pleased to finally have all 29 episodes... Plus I get to see the utterly moronic Euro-version of the pilot again that I actually bought on VHS at the time.
Happy day!
Addendum: There is a minor scratch on disk 1. Like someone rotated the disk in the tray. It's very minor. Since I'll be watching the pilot tonight I guess that'll test it.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Got mine yesterday. I also had the first plastic "page" cracked. 2-3 of the disks have light scratches but nothing that will keep the disc from playing (I hope). I wish they had used dual slimcases like they did with S2. Would have made for a more compact package too. Coincidentally the Duchovny in a dress card is one of the ones I got.

-D

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Got mine from Amazon today (longest shipping I've ever had from them, since I pre-ordered it before release date) and all discs are immaculate, and I'm ever so anal about those sorts of things. Thank goodness, not all of Amazon's batch appears to be a loss. My cards are awesome, too; more than half of them are open scenery shots from the opening credits--I even have card #1!

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great set, but I really hope a reasonably priced basic season one set is made available, so maybe, just maybe, some new blood would take a chance on this show. (I liked seeing the season 2 set in Target!) The gold box is pretty pricey for anyone but a major fan.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
AlexCosmo said:
This is a great set, but I really hope a reasonably priced basic season one set is made available, so maybe, just maybe, some new blood would take a chance on this show. (I liked seeing the season 2 set in Target!) The gold box is pretty pricey for anyone but a major fan.
It's going for $51 bucks with the coupon at Deepdiscount.
wonder how much new blood is catching the series on Chiller?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Craig Beam said:
So what's the deal with the cards? There are more than 12? How the hell is anyone supposed to collect them all???
There's 61 cards (not counting the gold and signed cards). So you're choices are eBay or buying at least six sets. Personally, I'm sticking with only having 12 of the 61 cards. :)

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
It's the longest shipping I've ever seen from Amazon as well. It took 3 weeks from shipping (24th October) to arrival. Expected it to be customs fault, but they hadn't touched it.
I wanted two specific cards Duchovny in a dress, and the "Welcome to Twin Peaks" (the shot from the titles). Got that one. No Duchovny though. Ah well.
Watched half the pilot last night. The Log Lady intro looks like it's taken from a third gen dub... Never seen them before though, so it's cool to finally see them after all this time.

Britton

Screenwriter
Has anyone played these discs on a PS3? Right now I'm on disc 4 and I cannot select the option to play individual episodes. I can get as far as the menu that gives one the option to play an individual episode with or without the Log Lady intros, but neither of the menu options can be selected. It is the same case for all 3 episodes on the disc.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I've seen that disk 4 problem mentioned on the Dugpa website I think it was, so you're not alone. And I don't think that person had a PS3.

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Britton said:
Has anyone played these discs on a PS3? Right now I'm on disc 4 and I cannot select the option to play individual episodes. I can get as far as the menu that gives one the option to play an individual episode with or without the Log Lady intros, but neither of the menu options can be selected. It is the same case for all 3 episodes on the disc.
I had this problem on my Panasonic player, so it's not an issue with just the PS3.
From what I've read, it does seem to be limited to certain players though. I had the same problem on Disc 6, but that's it so far...

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Just tested my disk 4 on Power DVD on my PC and yep, you get the episode menu, pick your episode, but can't select anything on the "Play with Log Lady intro?" screen, not even to go back to the menu.
Mildly annoying, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Power DVD will resume where you quit, so I'll just watch those disks that don't work like that.
Can't test on my actual set top player, lest I incur my two year olds wrath for interrupting "The Wiggles".:laugh:
Edit: The horror of "The Wiggles" has ended... Disk 4 works just fine on my Daytek DVD player. I think I have a new candidate for "weirdest DVD glitch".

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Can somebody point me to a link in this thread or give me an answer to the following? A sort of review of the differences?

I have the import pilot, Season One box set and Season Two box set.

What does the GOLD Collectors edition have that is worth buying it for? Extra's? Deleted Scenes? New commentaries? How does the content differ from the sum total of the discs I have now and do you think it's a worth while purchase for the GOLD set?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris PC said:
What does the GOLD Collectors edition have that is worth buying it for? Extra's? Deleted Scenes? New commentaries? How does the content differ from the sum total of the discs I have now and do you think it's a worth while purchase for the GOLD set?
Besides the better quality episode prints, the GOLD edition's feature-length documentary on the last disk with interviews of many of the players is worth the price of admission alone. I also had the region-free pilot and it looked terrible compared to this. This GOLD edition also has both the domestic and European versions of the pilot episode, and the European version succinctly ends the entire story with one very awkward tacked-on finale. Fascinating, but awkward.
Now I know why "Bob" never spoke much in the regular series episodes or finale - he's got to be the worst actor ever filmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks